Do bookmakers use unfair terms and conditions?

Please use this forum to discuss unfair terms & conditions used by bookmakers, e.g. no right to appeal against decisions, palpable errors, delays in paying out, refusing promised free bets, etc.
Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: Do bookmakers use unfair terms and conditions?

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:22 am

Working as one would be a seriously magical trick and beyond my aging energy.

Doing this volunteer work makes you very, very, very cynical about the gambling industry. Importantly, it also makes you cynical about some punters. Some get in touch, need urgent help (they claim), you help them for free, they get their money and you never hear from them again or until the next time. This isn't ideal - being polite.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 am

Jimmy Re your above no need for politeness because the experiences you mention must trigger negative thoughts. I feel we punters are responsible because our apathy enables many Bookmakers to continue doing as they wish. When The J4P Org and this forum started i had high hopes that this would result in some collective action which might increase the chances of encouraging change. Four years in and this has yet to occur but live in hope.

You might recall that thanks to this forum a few of us did e mail Bruce Re the RP non coverage of the Bet restriction topic and perhaps it was just a happy coincidence but the following week in his editorial he did acknowledge for the first time that the practice existed. A small success but if hundreds of us spent 5 mins doing simular who knows what could be achieved. ?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Correct. People wouldn't believe how many times we've been told, "We don't want to put our head above the trench." OK, but don't moan, as you get what you deserve.

I'm hoping the BBC will be covering the topic again quite soon.

JJ