Sportpesa closed account despite oweing bonuses

Talk to us here if you have had accounts closed or had unfair restrictions placed upon your account.
Lives90
Supporter

Sportpesa closed account despite oweing bonuses

Post by Lives90 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:52 pm

Hi again,

I'm a VIP with Sportpesa and took part in two VIP promotions that they emailed me.

I was due to receive £200 cashback on 24/01 and a £200 free bet on 27/01. They sent me an email on 22/01, immediately suspending access to my account and requesting source of wealth documents. I've sent them the requested 3 months bank statements however it seems unlikely at this stage that they are willing to accept these.

My last correspondence from Sportpesa was on the 28/01 and I fear they have stopped replying to me now. They have declined requests for the £200 cashback to be withdrawn to my account and have told me that once the source of wealth process is complete then I will be able to access the rewards from the promotions.

I was going to go ahead and open a Resolver case but I wanted to get a second opinion first. I believe that since I participated in the promotions before my account was suspended then I am entitled to receive both the £200 cashback and £200 free bet - It's not like I need to make any further deposits so I'm a little unsure how the source of wealth is completely relevant here.

TIA

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: Sportpesa closed account despite oweing bonuses

Post by Jimmy Justice » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:19 am

Hi,

Based on what you've written it's difficult to assess the reasons why Sportpesa are doing this, so I've had a look through your previous posts and you do mention having accounts restricted previously. Would I be correct in assuming that this happened because you were winning and/or trying to withdraw? If I'm correct Sportspesa might have found out from others companies or internally assessed that you should never have been made a VIP? If I'm wrong, it could be that they are genuinely invoking their social responsibility processes?

Whatever, they can't legally justify retrospectively take things away from you unless you do have a gambling disorder, especially as you have provided 3-months bank statements, so I would begin with 'Resolver' and then their ADR.

I hope this helps?

JJ

Lives90
Supporter

Post by Lives90 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:04 am

Thanks for your response.

My bets for the promotions actually lost, so I'm not due any withdrawals and have no balance in my account(aside from the £200 cashback/£200 fb)

It's routine for bookies to suspend access to accounts following the failure of a source of wealth check, but the immediate suspension seems a little odd - They didn't give me a chance. I know that they have legal responsibilities and if they need to close my account then that's fair enough, I just want what I'm owed first!

I'll go ahead with the Resolver case.

Thanks again.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:31 am

Please do keep us updated.

JJ

Lives90
Supporter

Post by Lives90 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:00 am

Pleased to say they gave it up before I had to go through the potentially lengthy Resolver process.

I emailed them again stating this would be the last time before I took it further externally, they then replied saying they will credit the cashback and freebet, however suspend my account once I placed it and if it won, make the withdrawal for me.

Withdrawal hit my bank earlier today. :)

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:22 am

Fantastic to hear and thanks for letting us know.

JJ