Responsible gambling - tick box exercise for companies

There is a lot of PR surrounding the issue of problem gambling, but does reality really live up to the hype. Discuss your experiences here, e.g. self exclusion failures.
Manc0606
Supporter

Responsible gambling - tick box exercise for companies

Post by Manc0606 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:07 am

Hi all,

1st off just want to say hi to everyone and hope everyone is ok. I want to run something by people and see how many are actually affected by companies misusing there ability to intervene problem gamblers. Ive only recently became aware i have a problem with gambling but have had this problem for a while. Im going to say how ive found this but wont be listing the company in question to myself as i am currently going through there compaints system.

So it all started years ago when i gambled large amount in the hope of relieving some stress from daily finances. That ended sour and i had to admit this issue to my wife and we had to get a second mortgage on our property to cover the debts i spent on gambling. I actually managed to stop gambling and things were looking ok. We then found out we were going to have our 4th child and so needed to see if we were in a position to urgrade our house from a 3 bed semi to a 4 bed. Fast forward a few months and we managed to find a 4 bed detatched that was very run down (thats all we could afford but luckily ive very handy so we took on the refurbishment as a project) anyway around may this year we had finished most of the house but ran out of money to complete it, so me being the fool that i was decided to try n gain through gambling. In june this year i opened an account n started small football bets. This soon became large football bets as i was forever chasing. Luckily id managed to recover what id put in plus all the cash withdrawal fee on my credit card.

So in mid september i decided to try my look at roulette. I came up with a system and started slow. By early october id managed to withdraw nearly 3k and still had 2k to play with. I was on the high. The company then all of a sudden suspended my account until i spoke to there responsible gambling team. This in hindsight should of been a brilliant capture of a problem gambler as i was spending lots of time on the roulette table starting as early at 6am and finishing as late as 10pm, i was increasing the bets to sometimes over 700 per spin and was depositing more and more. In the months between mid june and early october id deposited a total of 29k, which is more than i earn in a year. Anyway back to the capture from the companies rg team. So i phone the responsible gambling team, just thinking about how im going to be able to lie my way through this so they dont suspend my account as like i said at this point i was on a high. The phone call lasted no longer than 5 minutes and i was actually shocked at how easy the phone call was. Like i said the system used to capture me as a high risk problem gambler had done its job, it was brilliant but the person from the rg team was rubbish and asked what i believe as a couple of tick box exercise question just to say they had done "everthing", he wanted to get off the phone more than i did. An example of a question asked was, why do you reverse withdraw, to which i replied because its easier than depositing again. Now this is surely a red flag but he just replied ok thanks.

So at the end of the call he said he was happy to reinstate the account with no limitations and said do i want him to just email the responsible gambling sheet rather than going through it. Again i said yes. Now looking back i believe 2 things should of happened. They should of seen im unable to control any levels whether that be playing times, deposits, reverse withdrawing, using credit cards etc, so they should of installed a deposit limit and removed reverse withdrawing considering i had revsered over 4k in a month.

In next few days id hit a stumbling block and all the money in my account plus my previous winnings had been wiped out. In the space of 4 days i was able to deposit 17 times totally just under 10k. Id even added a new credit card to my account to deposit from. Ended up losing everything. So ive rang the company and explained i wanted to speak to the rg team again as i have realised ive got an addiction and need help from them that they should of gave on the 11th october. To which i was advised my account was to be self excluded (to which i wanted anyway) and they will put a refund request in. A few days later they come back to me saying no refund will be giving following an investigation. So ive rang them saying ive been waiting for the phone call i was promised to put accross my side so a full investigation could happen only to be told the rg team will no longer speak with me and that is there decision.

I was so low i didnt know what to do, if my wife found out she would leave if my family found out i would be shamed upon. So as any addictor would do i tried again using a different company. Same outcome and now im a further 1k in debt. The debts are all overdraft and credit cards so its the most expensive way to be in debt. With the previous debts of the mortgage and refurbishment works i cant even afford to pay them all. Im 100% ready to quit gambling now and im registering with gamstop.

Ive logged a compaint with the company in question regarding there social responsibily and the poor phone call i recieved in supposedly trying to help me with responsible gambling. I havent requested everything back as i do understand its a business so out of the 10k i spent since the poorly judged phone call ive said i believe a 2k (which is more than enough both sides) deposit limit should have been activated and reverse withdrawals should of been removed. Ive deducted the withdrawls i was able to make and that has left 6.5k. This doesnt cover the debt but i have to also take responsibility in the spiral.

With the gambling commision currently in the process of surveying the use of credit cards and social responsibility high on there list im willing to take this through every avenue i have, 1st complaint then adr then gambling commision and even court if i have to. I velieve companies have to start taking this social responsibility seriously and at present they really dont.

Sorry for the long message and hope it doesnt bore you to, well go and gamble again :lol: . How does everyone feel on social responsibility from the company and do any of you think my chances of partial recovery from them is any good?

Thanks
    S

Jimmy Justice
    Site Admin

Re: Responsible gambling - tick box exercise for companies

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Thank you for your post.

First of all I'm delighted to hear you are going to (have) activate GamStop. You also need to obtain GamBan. It would also be really good if you felt in a position to seek professional help for your gambling addiction. Gamcare can advise: https://www.gamcare.org.uk/self-help/se ... resources/

We always try to be 100% honest, so what follows is not easy reading at times, but hopefully does provide some hope?

If you do decide to go ahead you need to build a case as to why a gambling company has acted inappropriately.

You have a right of access to all the data a gambling company holds about you (see: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/yo ... of-access/). This is free and it's a crucial starting point.

This data then needs analysing for signs of a gambling disorder, e.g. long periods gambling, wildly varying stakes, chasing losses, using numerous products, betting on obscure sporting games around the world, etc.

You then go back to the gambling company outlining the breaches of their gambling licence (we will comment on your draft text, if you so wish). Do not bother with customer services, they are programmed and will not move. It's important you go back to a CEO with the information following analysis.

You should complain to the Gambling Commission with the same detail. They will not help you and any replies you get will be very bland basically saying the gambling company has done nothing wrong. However, it is still important you lodge the complaint as we know the GC are looking closely at gambling company social responsibility processes and that further fines may be levied, which gives you some power when communicating with the company.

You need to be patient, as challenging as possible, but not abusive.

Please do keep me informed of your choices and if you have any further questions, do ask.

I hope this helps?

JJ

Manc0606
    Supporter

Post by Manc0606 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:31 am

Hi jj,

Thanks for the reply.

At present im going through the 'correct' channels so there is no dispute when i do go to the adr and gc. They have replied once with the standard no, citing a couple of t&c's, which was fairly irrellivent to the social responsability. Luckily they have made a huge mistake by saying that it is fully my responsibility to make them aware of any gambling problems, evidencing even more that they have a complete lack of social responsibility. Im now on stage 2 and after this then ive got to dispute and then finially i can go to the adr and gc (with court my last option, but hopefully it doesnt get to that).

I have requested multiple data from them and as expected they are playing hard ball by not including some data ive requested and making the sheets too big so i can corrilate any of it. Im now on my 4th request with them just to get the data sent right and too be honest im kind of glad they keep messing up cuz its only helping my claim when i do get further down the line.

Appreciate the offer with the draft to the ceo and i can email you the 1st 3 emails between us if you like so you can read whats been said so far.

Im not letting this go even if i lose in court because i generally believe they need to do actual help and not just looking at the numbers.

Many thanks
    S

Jimmy Justice
    Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi S,

You can now post straight away.

All sounds sensible to me - well done!

Re not fulfilling data requests correctly, even though we generally find the Information Commission's Office fairly useless they have helped people get their data when they are/have been vulnerable, so I would give them a ring and ask for help: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/

Regards,

JJ