Betway refuses to settle bets for months

This is the forum where you can discuss any aspect of bookmaker injustices you wish. You start the topic and encourage others to develop it with you. Wherever possible do outline or attach evidence that supports what you are sharing, e.g. Live Chat text, screen grabs, emails, letters, etc. It may even become one of our future campaigns!

The other subject specific forums below, do give you ideas to think about, but if you want to post here, please do.

Any advertising for gambling services will be deleted and the user blocked.
ladypunt
Supporter

Betway refuses to settle bets for months

Post by ladypunt » Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 am

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to betting so apologies if I sound inexperienced. On 25th January I made two single £85 bets on a basketball game. Betway initially paid out, but then reversed the bets back to "open". I've contacted them several times and every time they told me the match integrity is in question. I went to Resolver a couple of weeks ago. Betway's initial response was they voided the bets on 28th January, but then later corrected their message saying they cannot settle the bets until the investigation is over. I am shocked as to why the bets cannot be voided or better settled like at any other place?

It is unclear what is the role of Resolver here since Betway's replies are identical to what I received via their customer service.
I am also aware that other bookmakers settled their bets on this game on the same day. I even attached a screenshot to the case at Resolver. I am not sure what to do next after their latest reply. Should I wait another 2 months until Resolver escalates my case to IBAS? I would appreciate any advise from you guys.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: Betway refuses to settle bets for months

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu May 23, 2019 8:37 am

Thank you for your post.

Betway are not the easiest to deal with, but this does sound like a slightly strange situation:

1. A possibly corrupt game?
2. Other bookmakers have paid out despite number 1, so why are they happy?

I've attached our advisory leaflet, which outlines all your options. You can go to IBAS at any point, but you will need a dispute code for them off Betway. I can't predict, but it is not unknown for companies to be difficult when asking for this code.

You do need to keep in mind, if the relevant basketball authorities are still investigating the game Betway can refuse to settle any bets until the end of the investigation.

I hope this helps?

JJ
Attachments
Know your rights when betting 11-18.pdf
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 4 times

ladypunt
Supporter

Post by ladypunt » Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 am

Thank you for the reply. The answer is "no idea" to both of your points.

Do you think it is sensible to wait another 2 months for Betway to investigate and then escalate the case to IBAS via Resolver? I feel like it is pointless to ask Betway to settle the bets when they are clearly not going to do that. I just hope IBAS can speed up the decision making process...

Many thanks for all the help.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri May 24, 2019 8:38 am

I would do as follows. Send a letter or email to their CEO (see www.ceoemail.com)

Template to edit:

Your full address
Email address
Tel. No.

(insert name), CEO
(insert company)
(insert full address, including postcode)

Date

Dear

Delayed payment of winnings

I have an online account with (insert company); username - (insert username).

I’ve tried to withdraw (some/all – delete as appropriate) of the money (insert exact amount if you wish), which is being withheld from me because your company is claiming that the game my winning bet was placed on could possibly be corrupt. This is somewhat strange as other major gambling companies have paid out on the game.

I’ve contacted your customer services on a number of occasions and they are very unhelpful. I still don't know what's really going on.

(Insert any other relevant details of your case).

I do hope you can ensure a quick resolution to this situation, if not, and if I have still not received my money in 14 days (from the date this letter was posted/email sent – enter date) I will be raising an official complaint with IBAS. I will regard this date as the end of my attempts to settle this matter amicably and expect to be provided with a dispute reference code that IBAS will require.

I’ve also made a complaint to 'Resolver'.

I look forward to hearing from you urgently or whoever you delegate the task to.

Yours sincerely,

(insert your name)
(insert your username)

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sat May 25, 2019 5:06 am

One aspect of most On line Bookmakers MO which appears to be on the increase is that when they have any " concerns" Re a winning bet and even when this has nothing directly to do with the winning customer then they are going to hold on to stake plus winnings while these things are sorted at the Bookmakers speed which is ultra slow. For an individual customer the amount of money may be small but the frustrations considerable, and sometimes collectively the total amounts might be substantial.

Given the above situations imo there should be an independent official body which if the matter is not settled within 14 days the Bookmaker has to transfer the stakes plus winnings to until such time as it is. If this was made law and enforced then customers who where entitled to that money would i suspect start receiving it more promptly.If nothing else this would enable the Gov Dept or better still a worthy Charity to take the interest earn from the money.

In the past when placing a bet perhaps as punters our biggest worry was will it win, but increasingly if it does will i get paid promptly be allowed to with draw without fuss, and or will my account now be closed by punitive max bet restrictions all surpass the former concern.? What a sorry state of affairs and also one which will not change unless more of us decide to work collectively with the help and guidance of the J4P Org.

I read that there are four million active UK sports punters but the tail continues to wag the dog.If you are one and having just read my above are thinking well none of this has affected me so why should i be bothered , i would say there is a very good reason to feel concerned because YOU could be next and as many could testify this is not a pleasant experience.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat May 25, 2019 12:58 pm

When we were part of the working group for the new ADR regulations that came out last October we suggested things like 14 days for settling disputes. It came across to others as though we were 'crackers', hence the 8-week that was insisted on by the Gambling Commission. Eight weeks is far too long and allows gambling companies to mess customers about whenever they wish.

Quite simply, it's wrong!

JJ

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sun May 26, 2019 5:35 am

Jim your above is a good example and if a handful of us e mail the GC on the subject they will take no notice, but if hundreds of us did so at the same time then this just might give them pause for thought.? Many people make long posts on this and other forums Re Bookmakers poor practice ( i am one of them) but if we have the time to do this we surely also have it to participate in a relevant campaign implemented by J4P.

I wish it where otherwise but increasingly feel that until this starts to happen then little will change. The Boat needs rocking but its only us " customers" working together who can create the waves.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sun May 26, 2019 9:47 am

Hi Mick,

There are 406 registered users of this forum and we have well over 1000 'friends' of J4P signed up, so your idea should be easy to do, but as you know its not. How many of these people would bother to email the GC? I'm not sure.

I'm also not sure that the GC will budge. The eight week time length before a dispute reaches deadlock applies to dispute systems in every industry, so the GC thinks they are meeting the 'gold' standard. Of course their thoughts ignore that most companies in other industries do make a genuine effort to settle disputes much quicker than the 8-weeks, whereas many gambling companies make little effort at all.

In some government circles there is talk of a gambling ombudsman to replace the GC's consumer work and the present ADR system. This is gathering momentum primarily due to gambling disorder. J4P would welcome an ombudsman with 'open arms'. This really is something worth putting some time into.

Regards,

JJ

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sun May 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Just a thought Jim but would it be worth surveying the 1400 you mention to discover how many would be willing to spend a couple of mins sending an e mail, prior to organizing and launching any planned Campaign.?

Although it does not affect myself on behalf of others especially those new to using the site i still feel that Odds Checker is complicit in enabling what could be seen as deceitful behaviors by leading Bookmakers. As an example yesterday evening when pricing today's races WH and PP both displayed the green bog button but anyone betting with them yesterday will not be paid out at bog today. PP its from 8am on the day and WH from 12.01 am on the day. Imo they should not be allowed to display bog at the times it does not apply.

There is no overt message on the Odds Checker site which advises customers that to glean the bog T&Cs and any changes that they need to pause the cursor over the bookmakers green bog button. A poor practice most worthy of an e mail Campaign imo. Would Odds Checker take any notice ? we will never know unless enough of us make them aware.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Mon May 27, 2019 9:07 am

By coincidence I've had an email from a journalist looking for gambling affiliate websites stories, e.g. Oddschecker. I'm laising with him on this.

JJ