Betway

This is the forum where you can discuss any aspect of bookmaker injustices you wish. You start the topic and encourage others to develop it with you. Wherever possible do outline or attach evidence that supports what you are sharing, e.g. Live Chat text, screen grabs, emails, letters, etc. It may even become one of our future campaigns!

The other subject specific forums below, do give you ideas to think about, but if you want to post here, please do.

Any advertising for gambling services will be deleted and the user blocked.
Bobby
Supporter

Re: Betway

Post by Bobby » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 am

Mail to Betfred
The request was made on 19th July. How long am I going to wait?

Are you actually aware of your legal obligations?

Mail to Coral / Ladbrokes
What’s going on? Are you actually aware of your legal obligations?

Respond immediately. You are in breach of GDPR legislation.

Cc’d to Kenny Alexander.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:14 pm

A (another) report of both companies to the ICO is needed.

JJ

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:45 am

I've reported Coral Ladbroke Group to the ICO today.

I'm holding off slightly longer on Betfred seeing as I have an email address for an actual person. If she can't be bothered to even reply any more, they are next on the list.

They seem to think that they can just get away with this. Maybe they are right.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 am

Good man, keep fighting. It's fair to say most gambling companies do not fear authority and that includes the ICO.

JJ

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:07 pm

OK I've run out of patience and referred Betfred as well now. They are literally ignoring my emails.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks for letting us know.

In the past I would have offered to contact the ICO direct for you, but they just tell us to get the person to do it. Best of luck with it.

JJ

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:54 pm

Letter from the ICO to Betfred. Clearly a standard letter but it looks like it's better to have a contact name for the complaint so they can contact someone directly.

I wonder if she will bother to contact me now.....
Case Reference Number xxxxxxxxx

6 November 2019

Dear Ms xxxxxxx

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has received a complaint about the way your organisation processes personal data. The full details of the complaint are attached to this email.

The ICO’s role

Part of our role is to consider complaints from individuals who believe there has been an infringement of the Data Protection law. We have recorded this complaint but now expect you to take steps to address it with your customer.

Accountability is one of the data protection principles and makes you responsible for complying with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). You must be able to demonstrate your compliance to your customer and work hard to prevent complaints from coming to us.

One of the ICO’s strategic goals is to increase the public’s trust and confidence in how their personal data is used and made available. You can help with that in ensuring that you explain fully, to your customer, how you are complying with your obligations under the law.

As a regulator we look to organisations to effectively manage and resolve the data protection complaints they receive. When your customer comes to us to complain they are in effect telling the regulator that you are breaking the law.

Reports of this kind are something that we will treat seriously and robustly.

What you need to do now

We want you to revisit the way you have handled this matter and consider what further action you can now take to resolve this complaint. We expect organisations to deal with the data protection complaints they receive and to proactively work with their customers to provide an appropriate resolution.

If you feel that you have complied with the Data Protection law in this case, you need to explain to your customer in as much detail as you can, why this is. You also need to be confident that you have done all you can to find an appropriate resolution.

I have attached a checklist to help you ensure you have done everything you can to resolve your customer’s complaint. You should be able to tick off all the points on this list, but this list is by no means exhaustive.

If we receive a further complaint about this processing, we will carefully review and assess the comprehensive response you have provided to your customer.

Although individuals do have the right to raise complaints with the ICO, I would like to be clear that in this context a complaint to the ICO should not be viewed as a routine second stage in a resolution process. As indicated above, we expect organisations to promote and explain how they take personal data obligations seriously and this should involve reducing the need for individuals to approach the regulator directly.

If we consider that you are not processing personal information in accordance with the data protection law then we will consider using our formal powers and any sanctions available to ensure that your processing is compliant. A list of the Information Commissioner’s powers is also attached.

Advice and assistance

Our website contains advice and guidance about the processing of personal data and an organisation’s obligations under the Data Protection law. I recommend that you review the information on our website to fully understand your obligations.

Yours sincerely

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks for updating.

Funnily enough I haven't seen this type of letter before; it is much more detailed and threatening than the ones the ICO usually uses.

It will be really interesting to see how Betfred reacts.

Thanks again for posting.

JJ

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Nothing from Betfred so
Hello xxxxxxx,

You have by now been contacted by the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), Case Reference Number RFAxxxxxxxx.

Can you please confirm that you will now be carrying out my instructions regarding my personal data as a matter of urgency?

Thanks,

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:35 pm

The ICO sent a similar letter to Ladbrokes Coral Group, who mailed me:
Re: Information Commissioner’s Case Reference RFAxxxxxx

We have today received an email from the Information Commissioner’s Office in respect of your recent request for access to your personal data.

We were extremely sorry to learn that you remain dissatisfied with the extent of the personal data we have provided and will be happy to review our records if you would be good enough to confirm what data you believe has been withheld. Details of any additional email addresses or account IDs that you hold will also help us identify any accounts we may have missed.

Whilst writing, we understand that you have also questioned what data we have shared with Iovation using cookies and we can confirm that we no longer use or share data with this company on either Ladbrokes or Coral sites.

We look forward to hearing from you further so that we can review this matter and resolve
your concerns.

Yours sincerely,

Data Protection team at Ladbrokes Coral Group