Betway

This is the forum where you can discuss any aspect of bookmaker injustices you wish. You start the topic and encourage others to develop it with you. Wherever possible do outline or attach evidence that supports what you are sharing, e.g. Live Chat text, screen grabs, emails, letters, etc. It may even become one of our future campaigns!

The other subject specific forums below, do give you ideas to think about, but if you want to post here, please do.

Any advertising for gambling services will be deleted and the user blocked.
Bobby
Supporter

Re: Betway

Post by Bobby » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:09 pm

And a quick line to my friends at Betway:
I expect more of an immediate response on a matter of this urgency. You are in breach of GDPR legislation. I’m copying Anthony Werkman.
The CEO of Betway is Anthony Werkman, anthony.werkman@betway.com.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 am

:D :D :D

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:55 pm

Betway response:
Thank you for your enquiry.

As already communicated to you, your data subject access request was provided to you within 30 days of your request, for both of your data subject access requests. This is in line with the regulations outlined in the GDPR (article 15) and the DPA 2018 (articles 15 and 16).

With these regulations in mind, redactions have been made based under the exemptions provided for under the Act. We can assure you that any and all redactions made are to comply with the regulations. This also includes any obvious duplicate information that we noticed as we processed your request, as well as any information that is not about you.

Please see re-attached a copy of your most recent Subject Access Request.

With regards to your request about ‘your data being deleted immediately upon request’ please note that in line with the requirements of the GDPR and the DPA we will keep information for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed. We adhere to other relevant legislation such as AML regulations, requirements from the HMRC and Gambling laws and regulations. In turn, this means that we would be unable to delete player data for 5 years after the date of last activity on their account.

In your case, the date of last activity on your account was on the 13/08/2019. In turn, this means that due to our legal obligations, we are unable to delete all of your personal data until 13/08/2024.

In the meantime, we have restricted processing on your account wherever possible, for example, your account has been closed, and you have been removed from any marketing lists.

With regards to your request about ‘the account being limited’ please note
that this has been escalated to the Customer Care Team who will be in contact with you shortly.
For your reference, Betway is a data controller registered in Malta. A complete description of the
types of data collected, and processing we carry out can be found in our Privacy Policy
(www.betway.com/policies/privacy/).

Yours sincerely,

The Betway Team
I still can't read some of the Iovation screenshots in the attached PDF, and chunks of it are blacked out. I notice that they are, surprise surprise, a little vague about which regulations or requirements specify 5 years for data deletion.

Any suggestions as to my next response?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 am

Please go back stating you can't read the Iovation data, so this is actually a breach of GDPR, because they aren't providing the data in an accessible form. This also means it's likely there is a possibility of a breach of equality law, e.g. anyone with a sight impairment would be disadvantaged. I can guarantee 100% that they have the Iovation data in a form that is easily readable. We have quite a lot of Iovation data and it is very easy to read, albeit it doesn't always make sense due to coding. That's another issue for another day.

As you know, it's all a game to them as they have no fear of regulation.

I hope this helps?

JJ

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:43 pm

This thread is going to be getting busier!

Mail to Betfred / Totesport, who sent me little more than a list of deposits / withdrawals:
The request was made on 19th July. You breached GDPR legislation by not replying in full in 30 days. It is also blatantly obvious that you have not supplied me with all my data.

Please confirm that

• you don’t store my betting history (because you haven’t supplied this information)
• your system does not record the fact that my accounts are limited, or how they are limited, or why they are limited (because you haven’t supplied this information)
• you do not use tracking software such as the Iovation product sometimes called iesnare (because you haven’t supplied this information)

I repeat: the ICO has recently threatened one gambling company with regulatory action for not fulfilling a SAR correctly on a number of occasions.

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Back to Betway, who gave me blurry screenshots of redacted data and made up a five year retention period:
It's getting a bit tedious now but instead of making an immediate official complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office, let's try again. Here are four questions. Number your responses one to four, to be sure you don't miss one out.

1. You ignored my instruction to supply the screenshots of the Iovation data in a format that is actually readable. You are legally obliged to do this. I am happy to accept JPEGs if they are legible. You are also obliged to explain any codes, so please do so.

2. Regarding the redaction of my data, I want to see my original data. I don't care if it is duplicated. If it is redacted for another reason, tell me the precise reason, and I will give you further instructions on how to proceed.

3. You state that you "keep information for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed" and then state that "we would be unable to delete player data for 5 years". If that is the case, why did you send me a separate email suggesting that I come back again in twelve months’ time and ask again so that you can review the request?

4. You also refer to your "legal obligations." Tell me precisely what law - or AML regulation, or HMRC requirement, or Gambling laws and regulations - mandate that five year period. If you cannot do that, delete my personal data immediately.

Thanks,

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:03 pm

I also made a request to Coral / Ladbrokes. Original response on 12th August ...
Thank you for contacting Coral Customer Support. I am writing to you about your recent request for your SAR details of your account.

I take this opportunity to advise you xxxxx, that we have forwarded your concern to our relevant team for further investigation. We will keep you posted once we receive any updates from them. Please take note of this case no: xxxxxxxx that will serve as your reference. The normal turnaround time is minimum of 72 hours, but we will aim to provide a feedback earlier than that.

Should you require any further assistance on this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Support Team on 0800 44 00 11 (7:00 - 00:00) or Live Chat, or you can visit our Help Centre 24/7.

Kind regards,
Samira
Coral Customer Support
Reply:
Hi Samira

How’s that 72 hours looking? Or is it going to turn up precisely 30 days after the request?

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:25 am

Betway:
Thank you for sending in your request. Please note that we aim to meet any data protection and GDPR requests within 30 days, once the request is clear.
You will receive feedback within the next 30 days, however we will contact you before that should we require further information to be able to fulfil your request.
Reply:
No, you’re already in breach of GDPR legislation. You don’t get another 30 days every time I point out that you have failed to fulfil your legal obligations.

Very kind regards,

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:17 am

Hi Bobby, Brilliant. Keep going like a terrier and please do keep updating us on here!!

Thank you,

JJ

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:07 pm

Just complained to Coral about the lack of a response and got a reply saying
The least that we want to happen is our customers to become upset and inconvenienced.
Well you've achieved that! :D