Was allowed to gamble with bet365 after self excluding a few months ago

There is a lot of PR surrounding the issue of problem gambling, but does reality really live up to the hype. Discuss your experiences here, e.g. self exclusion failures.
Dave62
Supporter

Was allowed to gamble with bet365 after self excluding a few months ago

Post by Dave62 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Self excluded a few months ago as I realised I had a problem, had a bit of a drunken relapse the other week, signed up with a new card and had moved so address was different, but same name and dob. Deposited some money, placed some bets (which all lost) and about 2 hours after signing up the account was locked. Phoned up and they said they did everything in their power to stop me, but surely they could have noticed my name and dob and at least stopped me from depositing until checking it out further??

Anything I can do about this?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: Was allowed to gamble with bet365 after self excluding a few months ago

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:55 am

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

We're always honest at J4P, so what follows is probably not what you want to hear.

The Gambling Commission allows companies circa 48 hours to complete basic ID checks, so the speed that Bet365 identified you would be seen by them as impressive, not a failing, hence you are very unlikely to get any support from them or for that matter any officialdom.

However, your argument does have some grounding in sense, e.g. why could Bet365 not block your account immediately? Of course, this is perfectly possible with the technology available when they have a name and date of birth. This technology will generate what are called false/positives, e.g. other people with your name and date of birth. This means that officialdom and companies have to decide whether generating false/positives are worse than protecting vulnerable people. At present the industry and officialdom seems to have decided that false/positives, thus delaying gambling for a tiny group of people is more damaging. Don't expect me to agree with that, as I do not (100%). In fact I think its stupidity.

I do apologise for offering little hope of you getting your money back, but I have to point out to you the truth of the present regulation in place. Feel free to come back to me with any thoughts or ideas you may have.

Regards,

JJ