General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

This is a forum for discussing privacy abuse. Some bookmakers secretly use insidious tracking techniques on computers and smartphones. The one product most talked about is 'iesnare', which is never specifically mentioned in terms and conditions, but there are plenty of other privacy abuses you may not be happy with. Let everyone know.
Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Post by Jimmy Justice » Wed May 23, 2018 8:50 am

https://justiceforpunters.org/other-pun ... tion-gdpr/ This link is the start of our coverage of the new privacy laws and what it might mean for gambling consumers. It has the potential to generate major change.

Please read our first post and take action as you see sensible.

Feel free to post this link on any other betting/gambling forums you use.

All the best,

JJ

RIT
Supporter

Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Post by RIT » Sun May 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Reply from Totesport:

Thank you for your email.

Having looked into your account, I can confirm that the business has taken the decision to permanently close your Totesport online account. Going forward, your custom has also been declined. This decision has been made in accordance with our terms and conditions which have been provided for you below and state;

"Totesport reserves the right to decline the whole, or part, of any bet. Totesport reserves the right to close or suspend a customer's account at any time".

Regarding your request to delete all date we currently hold on you I will submit a request to the GDPR team who will review your request. Please note information will only be deleted should this request be approved as per the below ruling of the General Data Protection Regulation and decision of the relevant department:

55. Customers have the right to have their data ‘erased’ in certain specified situations. This is in essence where the processing fails to satisfy the requirements of the GDPR. Where customers seek to exercise these rights, data controllers must respond without undue delay (and in any event within one month). This period can be extended in difficult cases, but data controllers would need to demonstrate their justification for relying on the extension provision.”

Should you require any further assistance from Totesport, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Services team. We are available to contact 24/7 via email (customercare@totesport.com), telephone (0800 032 8188 (National) / 44 1925 907520 (International)) and our online Live Chat facility.

Thank you for contacting Totesport Customer Services.

Kind Regards,

Will M

Totesport Customer Services

Free phone: 0800 032 8188

Land line: 01925 907520

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Mon May 28, 2018 9:01 am

Many thanks for your post; very interesting.

Please keep me informed of what happens next, because if the GDPR people at Totesport (Betfred) deny erasure you (we) have clear confirmation that they've done this purely to protect their profits. I'm presently unsure whether this is allowed under GDPR, but let's see what happens first before we take it up with the GC and ICO.

JJ

GoatMartini
Supporter

Post by GoatMartini » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 pm

I got this reply from Boylesports when asking to delete my account and data

Hi,

This is a follow up to your account closure request made on May 22nd.

I can confirm again that your account is now closed, but please note that our license requires us to keep customer data for a period of 7 years after the account is no longer used. Your account was last used in 2014, so we are unable to comply with your request to erase your data at this time.

Kind regards,

Customer Services Supervisor.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:11 am

Thank you for doing this.

Bookmakers are making it up as they go along. Some say five years, some say seven, even had a ten. Some quote one piece of legislation, some another. The whole thing is a joke.

JJ

spliffhead
Supporter

Post by spliffhead » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 pm

I had a bookmaker refuse my request to delete data claiming they were allowed to store the data for 6 years, after sending them the legal letter they came back to me claiming they were complying with the terms laid out by the UKGC, I phoned the gambling commission who say it is nothing to do with them and that i should contact the ICO, I explained to the GC that this was their responsibility and in not acting and allowing themselves to be dragged into this as justification for not deleting my details they were being complicit in breaking the law, it is their duty on seeing the emails to withdraw or suspend the licence immediately pending clarification of the law which is something they should have been advised, I told them their job solely is to protect the consumer from the fraudulent practice of bookmakers and other betting organisations, they unfortunately do not see it this way and fail to understand the duty of a regulator. I have informed the ICO and filled out their complaint form, their initial reaction was one of astonishment that the UKGC had acted in this way and they agreed with my view on the matter. Not sure how long the ICO will take on this, it took ages just to get through to them, must have 1000s of cases every day at the moment
The company in question was one of the smaller companies who use the FSB licence

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks for this and for doing it. 6-years is a new one on J4P. We've had 5, 7 and 10, but never 6 before. All the regulators are 'bottling it' at the moment, so as always the gambling companies prosper doing anything they wish irrespective of UK and EU law. It really is pathetic.

We trying to setup a tripartite meeting with the GC and ICO to get a full understanding. To be fair to the GC they are trying to facilitate this, but the ICO has not responded at all so far.

The best response from customer services when asked about data erase and a contact email for their 'Data Controller'; and I'm not joking, "Oh, I don't think we have one of them." One of the big 5 gambling companies in the world.

Keep up the good work and thanks again.

JJ

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 am

Sorry, forgot to mention, may I put your post on our Twitter feed?

Del
Supporter

Post by Del » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:44 am

Personally, I think there is a strong case for action against the UKGC for failing to implement many of their LCCP rules or actively investigate cases brought to their attention by the public. Their favoured fob off is to point people to the civil courts. They refuse to engage in anything more than one maybe two replies to complaints and their interpretation of their own regulatory rules are bordering on the absurd. Certainly incompetent.

The response you got from them re erasing your data is further confirmation they are not doing their job.

The Gambling Act of 2005 (Implemented in 2007) specifically states that all licensed operators must adhere to the regulatory rules of their license as laid down by the UKGC. So it's a point of law that the detailed LCCP must be followed.

If the UKGC can't do that, then the courts will. Obviously it would be better all round if people didn't have to go to that expense and time, but the UKGC clearly don't want to do it. The reasons why are up for debate, but most of us suspect why.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 am

Excellent post. A serious discussion is needed about the power and role of all regulators that may or may not have a role in the gambling industry.

It all becomes very confused when anyhing challenging happens, often involving 'buck passing', which leaves the consumer alone and with no power unless they can afford expensive lawyers. Not ideal, is very polite.

JJ