What is iesnare and why does it matter to punters?

This is a forum for discussing privacy abuse. Some bookmakers secretly use insidious tracking techniques on computers and smartphones. The one product most talked about is 'iesnare', which is never specifically mentioned in terms and conditions, but there are plenty of other privacy abuses you may not be happy with. Let everyone know.
Jimmy's Apprentice
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What is iesnare and why does it matter to punters?

Post by Jimmy's Apprentice » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Here are links to a number of websites which explain gambling companies use of iesnare, a "tracking cookie" which is downloaded to your computer; usually without your knowledge or consent, to generate a unique identifier of your computer.

Article from The Gambling Times

An article from GeeGeez.co.uk

From More Money Review

A whitepaper from iovation, the company who run the iesnare system

An article by a Microsoft Certified Computer Technician on blocking iesnare for good

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What is iesnare and why does it matter to punters?

Post by Jimmy Justice » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:10 am

Thank you for posting this. I can't believe bookies are allowed to do this in such a secretive way, or at all for that matter :o . We should be campaigning to stop it through the UK Gambling Commission and the Information Commissioner's Office. In the 'Complaining and campaigning' section of the website it tells you how to contact and complain to these two regulators: GET COMPLAINING NOW!! 8-)

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:42 am

There is also increasing on line comment Re traders exchanging details about customers.If correct then thier employers would deny any knowledge yet i suspect that some will be unofficially aware and not be unhappy with this illegal practice.I do not know if its true but did read that Barney Curley managed to obtain details of some bookmakers good (big losing) customers and involved them in his four horse coup.

What would prove a real bonus for this site would be to obtain a member who genuinely does work in the trade room of one of the big firms and who was prepared to do a little whistle blowing.If we knew exactly how they work and think it might at least slow down the closure when use of a fresh account is obtained.

I am one of those boring people who has behaved in an honest way all of his life and using shadow accounts could be seen as fraudulent and dishonest but for myself it has become a case of needs must and i feel no shame when doing so only frustration that it is necessary and just to clarify yes i do profit (from my own efforts) in the long term but the amounts involved are insignificant.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:54 am

This is a huge issue and we have a case being dealt with by the 'Information Commission's Office' (ICO). Ex-employees, given anonymity (which would be ensured by us, no question) could be crucial. Even the ICO are feeling that their enquiries are being blocked by secrecy. However, this is a dangerous game for the bookmakers to play. Out of all the regulators the ICO do have 'bite'. It is just a case of getting the bookmakers high on their list of priorities, because government cut-backs mean they can't do everything.

pawras
Supporter

Post by pawras » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:56 pm

I have iesnare (I'd never even heard of it until last year) blocked on my machine via my hosts file , plus I block flash from storing anything on my machine.

I'm waiting for the time when bookies refuse to let you log into their site if you block iesnare etc i.e. unless you let them actively monitor you.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:19 pm

We will be posting a full update from our IT guys on deleting, blocking transmission and stopping re-infection by 'Iesnare', now rebranded as 'Reputation Manager' in the next month. It is now much easier to do; all with free software and little IT knowledge.

We've done a test on gaining access to all major bookmaker sites and some smaller ones. We blocked every tracker known to a free add-on called 'Ghostery' and only 'Winner's' site would not load (no loss there). Bookmker's will certainly not block you for stopping 'Iesnare' transmitting as they do not reveal clear details about it in their terms and conditions, which is pushing privacy laws and certainly breaking UK/EU cookie guidelines. There other issues with VPNs, which we will cover also at some point (if you don't know what they are we'll explain).

'Iesnare' will be dead around 2-years from now, unless we vote to come out of the EU, as new EU online privacy laws will be making products like 'Iesnare' illegal, unless it is explained to every customer what it actually does in full and that ain't going to happen either or nobody would sign up.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:22 am

Increasing numbers of us have experienced a very fast account closure and let's be honest when you are suddenly restricted to a max takeout of a tenner thats a closure.I have after just three bets and have read of others suffering similar, so is this iesnare playing a part causing some to be flagged up even before battle commences.?

The other aspect of concern (and i have little computer knowledge) is what information can it pull from your hard drive as an example i subscribe to Raceform Interactive which might imply taking a more serious interest and would this count against me.?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:32 am

We will post this as mentioned. We've forced one company, using regulators, to reveal all the initial data it collects, but a dispute is still continuing on what it collects on an on-going basis and how this is stored.

We've just had an apology for illegal use by one major bookmaker and are deciding what to do next.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:40 am

Jimmy Justice wrote: We've just had an apology for illegal use by one major bookmaker and are deciding what to do next.
Well done indeed i bet that's a first.!

Jimmy's Apprentice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy's Apprentice » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:37 pm

Mick said
The other aspect of concern (and i have little computer knowledge) is what information can it pull from your hard drive as an example i subscribe to Raceform Interactive which might imply taking a more serious interest and would this count against me.?
Hi Mick, what iesnare does is to create a unique id of your computer, this then gets linked to your account with a bookmaker and therefore your personal details. Iovation who developed iesnare do not (understandably) publish exactly how they do this, but it must work well enough or they couldn't sell the system.

All customers of iesnare are able to share this unique id of your computer and which other iesnare users, (in our case, bookmakers) that machine is used to access an account with; so when you open an account with another bookmaker who uses iesnare, they know which other bookmakers you are with and also if that machine is accessing multiple accounts with each iesnare user (bookmaker).

It is not then beyond the realms of possibility that linking this unique id to accounts, is used to flag up successfull punters. Then if that information is shared between iesnare users (bookmakers) your "potentially fraudulent activity" ie you can pick the odd winner at decent odds, means your card is already marked when you try to open a new account anywhere.

In reply to your second question, I have no doubt that they profile account holders and if you are a born loser they will target you, if you are a potential threat to profitability, they will watch you very closely.