General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

This is a forum for discussing privacy abuse. Some bookmakers secretly use insidious tracking techniques on computers and smartphones. The one product most talked about is 'iesnare', which is never specifically mentioned in terms and conditions, but there are plenty of other privacy abuses you may not be happy with. Let everyone know.
flook
Supporter

Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Post by flook » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Utter cop out from the ICO

I am writing in regards to your data protection concerns with Ladbrokes.

In my previous response to you I stated that we has written to the organisation asking for their perspective on the matter regarding third parties.

The Information Commissioner’s Office is satisfied with the organisations response. If you require a list of the categories of organisations that your data may have been released to, you may get in touch with the organisation, who will deal with your complaint accordingly.

As your account with Ladbrokes has been removed, you are now aware of their retention policy and if you require further information regarding third parties, the organisation will handle this request, there is nothing further that we can do on this occasion.

We will keep your concern raised on file, so that over time we can work to build up a picture of Ladbrokes information rights practices.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:50 am

Agreed. The ICO doesn't understand or worse, chooses not to understand, how Ladbrokes and others use data in ways they don't explain to their customers, which is an offence the ICO should be dealing with, but they don't.

Our meeting with them is now only 6-days away; it's going to be lively!

JJ

dobie2089
Supporter

Post by dobie2089 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:18 am

Hi ,
Just wondered what the outcome of the meeting was , with regards to erasure and gdpr ?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:36 am

I'm writing a piece for the website, but it will take a short while as we're getting written confirmation on a number of things that were said in the meeting, so I don't make any mistakes.

Very briefly; the ICO admitted that gambling companies were breaching differing parts of privacy law frequently. They also said they'd had meetings with industry representatives already including Iovation, because they are concerned about what is happening and they need to remind the industry in general of its responsibilities. The piece will mention what consumers can do to take these informal warnings from 'informal' to a proper investigation and hopefully action, including sanctions.

I will post a link on here when the meeting report is published.

Thanks for your interest.

JJ