SkyBet Fined £1m for Self Exclusion Failures

There is a lot of PR surrounding the issue of problem gambling, but does reality really live up to the hype. Discuss your experiences here, e.g. self exclusion failures.
Del
Supporter

SkyBet Fined £1m for Self Exclusion Failures

Post by Del » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:51 am

SkyBet have been find £1m for self-exclusion failures. The bulk of it is going to gambling charities but it appears none of the £217,306 profit from the self-excluded customers allowed to continue betting on SkyBet is going back to them. With the 888 case they gave it back to the customers.

Read both statements for more.
http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/ne ... nalty.aspx

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/PD ... h-2018.pdf

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: SkyBet Fined £1m for Self Exclusion Failures

Post by Jimmy Justice » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 am

Did they Del? I thought some of the fine went to people who had had money stolen from them, but not the customers themselves. As far as we know the GC policy is not to return money to customers? Might be wrong?

JJ

Del
Supporter

Post by Del » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:14 pm

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/PD ... t-2017.pdf

Section 4b

They had to return £3.5 million.

Yet another ambiguous view by the GC. They seem to make it up as they see fit?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:09 am

Hi Del

My fault and thanks for pointing it out.

We've been constantly told by the GC that they do not like refunds, but now they fine for not refunding - bizarre.

JJ

Del
Supporter

Post by Del » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:47 am

Yes, it is bizarre from the GC, but as you know I've found them to be less than perfect at interpreting their own rules.

For example the whole point of the Group Company rule in their license code is that it's about relating accounts for a punter across all of their brands, and both ways, not just from one brand's point of view. But as they won't respond more than once or twice you can't point this out to them. Personally, whilst I think they are make some headway, they are far too quick to point individuals to court. They only want the headline grabbing mass failures to deal with. What the industry needs is a proper ombudsman. The GC are certainly not up to that.

Anyway, seems like I'll be seeing my claim in court. I've plenty of evidence now that points to what should happen when SE fails across brands. If it goes all the way and I win, which I believe I will based on the existing evidence and the fact the LCCP is enforceable through law due to the Gambling Act of 2005, it hopefully will set a precedent for others to have a smoother path to justice.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:56 am

We await your outcome with great interest and you are right that conflicting decisions by the GC can only help in the court process. As you know, if and when, you need further help we're here.

Fingers-crossed it all goes well.

JJ

Del
Supporter

Post by Del » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks JJ. Always appreciated.

Having received and exchanged paperwork now, I'm pretty confident I have things covered on multiple angles. Looking forward to it after months of delays on their part.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:08 am

Well done. Takes some doing.

JJ