Totesport account closed due to Betfred Self Exclusion

There is a lot of PR surrounding the issue of problem gambling, but does reality really live up to the hype. Discuss your experiences here, e.g. self exclusion failures.
SJ2791
Supporter

Totesport account closed due to Betfred Self Exclusion

Post by SJ2791 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:31 pm

On the 1/12/17 i emailed totesport requesting details of all my open bets as the mobile app only allows you to view open bets under 30 days.

I received an email advising that all my open bets have been cancelled and £280 has been returned to my account.

I contacted customer services to query this and was told i was self-excluded from Betfred in July 16 for 6 months and they were closing my account and refunding stakes for unsettled bets. They provided me with the details of my open bets eventually and 2 of these have subsequently won totalling around £800. I also requested details of my deposits (£5811.73) and withdrawals (4236.75) from 26/5/17 to 1/12/17.

I have been allowed to deposit/withdraw and would still be now im sure if i hadn't emailed them on the 1/12/17.

I contacted the Gambling Commission who were concerned to read that i have been able to deposit/withdraw (i provided proof) despite being self excluded and that they have breached their Licence Conditions and Codes of Practise although my address and bank card had changed but still the same bank account. They suggested i take legal action as they unable to do anything further for me.

I would appreciate any advice on whether to try ADR or if i would be better going to the Small Claims Court.

Many Thanks

Scott

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: Totesport account closed due to Betfred Self Exclusion

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 am

Hi Scott

Thank you for your post.

What you explain is very complex and I'm surprised the GC suggested you went to court at this stage. We can only help you in private really. There is no easy answer, but we are helping a few people in similar situations and you may want to listen to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09nrsbb (gambling section). It has to be your choice, but it is likely to involve you having to decide to share a lot of personal detail so this is not the place.

Our private email is: info@justiceforpunters.org

JJ

Del
Supporter

Post by Del » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Scott, having SE'd myself from Betfred I can confirm that when testing if I could open a new account with Totesport it was immediately closed within minutes. So I'm surprised they didn't do the same with yours, if it was within the 6 month period.

Your response from the GC seems typical. In your case they have correctly identified that under the Group Company policy of the LCCP Betfred were required to monitor related accounts with their Totesport brand. So why are the GC doing nothing if they say they are concerned? What is the GC's LCCP purpose if they don't enforce it?

Strictly speaking Totesport should be resetting your account and return net losses if they are cancelling bets now.

SJ2791
Supporter

Post by SJ2791 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi Del,

Thanks for your post, i self excluded from Betfred in july 16 for 6 months but opened totesport account in may 17 so it was not in the 6 month period but they claim i should have contacted them before opening totesport account. The GC cannot inform me of any action they may or may not take but they suggested i seek legal advice.

I have requested either net losses or honouring my open bets (prior to Philadelphia eagles winning superbowl £40 each way at at 14/1) but they refused both.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

Hi SJ

Thank you for your post.

Have you contacted us by email about this?

JJ

Del
Supporter

Post by Del » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Scott - There is normally a clause that states after an SE period expires you are not automatically allowed back. Betfair for instance will insist on speaking to you and asking some not very searching questions and so it's often just a formality. Not sure what Betfred insist on.

It does seem they want their cake and to it eat in this instance though. As I say, I've tested their cross brand policy and to their credit it worked fairly instantly albeit at the deposit stage. After sign up with same details as Betfred account to the Totesport site I tried to make a small deposit to see if it worked and the deposit was refused and the account closed instantly. I suspect the only info they were tracking was my deposit method otherwise why didn't they refuse to allow an account to be created for an SE'd customer? So whilst I'm surprised you were not picked up earlier, you did have a different address and bank card so maybe that's where their system failed. Even so they should be checking multi fields not just deposit methods.

Anyway, the GC won't give you any feedback on your case and if you try to point out any discrepancies in their LCCP they'll just insist they are none, even though there clearly are. They seem to push individuals towards civil court action especially as the law does now cover gambling disputes since 2007 which is significant if you know about past similar cases in court.

Contact J4P via email mate, they will give you a lot of kind help and they are totally discreet and confidential.

All the best.

SJ2791
Supporter

Post by SJ2791 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks again Del for taking the time to reply to my post. I have contacted J4P and sent all communications from Totesport/Betfred and GC.

Scott