Betsafe (long standing issue)

This is the place to discuss abuse of your identity information by bookmakers. Why should you submit a 'selfie' of your passport page? Why should the quality of scans be refused when they are high quality? Why should the border around a scanned picture be so important? Etc.? Etc.?
adelp2002
Supporter

Betsafe (long standing issue)

Post by adelp2002 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi,

I am hoping I can get help with smth given it`s been a very long time since this happened. I have opened an account with Betsafe in 2015. After a long run of bets, they have reduced my stakes and then I opened a Betsson account where I had v little success if any. Unfortunately I have not withdrawn the winnings from my betsafe account in the meantime and when I tried to withdraw from Betsson, they have suspended both accounts (as this happened around the time one company bought the other).

I have ultimately been told that because I failed their verification procedure on the sister company account at Betsson, they will keep the profit of 3500 GBP in my Betsafe as well.

I have raised a dispute with IBAS (where I have explained that I used a VPN, hence my IP changing from switzerland to germany and so on, as this was why Betsson and ultimately Betsafe held my profits, saying that my IP changing from a country to another in the space of 2 hours is a hallmark of multiple ppl using the same account). IBAS has unfortunately sided with the bookmaker sending me a repugnant letter in which they tell me that they "know that people think it's ok to use someone else's account with no consequences".

My issue with this is obviously:

- the verification may have failed at betsson, but at betsafe I have not used a VPN (and that is where the bulk of my profits was) and I have provided them with all the documents that they requested.
- they have given themselves the luxury of having 10s or 100s of free bets on me when they eliminated the risk of the "mutual" bets I have been placing with them over a longer period of time.
- IBAS was useless, just helped the bookmakers stall in my opinion, the process was very long and confusing.
- i have read on other forums, that betsafe/ betsson traditionally do this with FEMALE accounts, such as mine.
- When I contacted the UKGC as to why they allow a company that operates in the United Kingdom to have Terms and Conditions that oblige me to go through the courts of Malta if I wanted to take legal action, they just told me I should contact my local Citizens Advice Bureau (the disregard for the consumer on this is pathetic and beyond any words).

Sorry for the long post but, before I go into more details, given it`s been so long, can I still make a claim to the courts? Do you think that I have any chance to get anything out of this, at least to rock the boat maybe if more and more of us do this the UKGC/ Market Authority will be pushed to do smth. If it at least gets in a newspaper, I would love to be able to tell the world what they did.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: Betsafe (long standing issue)

Post by Jimmy Justice » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Some companies do list in their T&Cs that use of a VPN is in breach, so this is a starting point if you take your case further, i.e. did their T&Cs at the time of registering and betting contain such wording. If not or if the company can't provide proof of this this leaves the option of a small claim in court open to you.

J4P are not known for pushing for court action, but as IBAS has found against you it is your only option. I've attached our advisory leaflet. Hopefully the section on court claims will help.

You can either make a claim on your own, which isn't difficult and we do have templates for letters to work with or we can recommend lawyers for you. Clearly the latter will come at a cost, be it a fee or commission on any settlement you get.

I have not seen the full case with evidence provided by both parties, so I cannot comment if the IBAS decision would be overturned in court or not. However, if the only reason given is that use of a VPN means a person has accounts in multiple names, it is nonsense. Lots of people use VPNs in every day life for lots of good reasons. In fact some top online security companies recommend use of a VPN at all times.

If you know you have done nothing wrong you should think seriously about a small claim. Conversely if you know you broke T&Cs and did use multiple accounts you are taking a big risk and may lose your court fee or more.

I hope this helps?

JJ
Attachments
Know your rights when betting 09-19.pdf
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 225 times

adelp2002
Supporter

Post by adelp2002 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:54 pm

hi Jimmy and thanks for your response.

I have lived with the thought that I wrote that amount of money off for a very long time, but gained bit of courage seeing posts on your forum and the tremendous help you give to punters through these channels.

I genuinely am not bothered if I get that money or not, as long as I do what I feel is the right thing to do, so would be happy to lose a court fee or solicitors' fees over this. In fact, I am thinking of donating that money if ever I get it.

In order for you to look at the whole case, I am obviously aware it takes precious time, so if there is a fee or some other process only to get an initial consultation I`m happy to pay that as well.

Otherwise I will carry on as advised in your previous post.

Many thanks and I admire what you do

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:17 am

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm much better now, but have been recovering from a virus (COVID?), so I'm a bit behind with everything, however if you send an email to info@justiceforpunters.org I'll have a look and sort something out. We don't charge a fee for anything, but do have a facility for donating to a chosen charity if somebody chooses to.

We also have legal options now; both no win/no fee and one with a standard fee structure. J4P does not receive a fee or commission for passing people on, so you can be sure we have your interests at heart if we can't solve it ourselves.

Drop me an email.

JJ