Do bookmakers use unfair terms and conditions?

Please use this forum to discuss unfair terms & conditions used by bookmakers, e.g. no right to appeal against decisions, palpable errors, delays in paying out, refusing promised free bets, etc.
Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: Do bookmakers use unfair terms and conditions?

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:11 am

You may have seen The Times sports section yesterday? If not, you can read a major article about J4P's work here: https://twitter.com/tonypaley/status/962264276462338049

Have we won; certainly not. Are we winning; don't know, but we're definitely moving in the right direction. Will there be a version of a minimum bet/liability rule; never been closer. Is it just about getting on; no.

JJ

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm

So good to see yet more media recognition for the excellent efforts made on our behalf by JFP.We also have a part to play so please ask all of your punting acquaintances to Reg as JFP supporters and consider actively participating.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:06 am

Yes please and it is vital that EVERYONE submits to this: http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/n ... -open.aspx

Over the 1000 people provided evidence of injustice to the Competition and Markets Authority investigation, making a massive difference, you can do the same here.

The Gambling Commission are very keen to hear from consumers. We met with them last Friday and they are hoping to hear from as many consumers as possible. This is a superb chance to get a fairer deal when gambling on just about any aspects you can think of.

Please submit your thoughts to it and tell everyone else about it.

JJ

pelimies
Supporter

Post by pelimies » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 am

Is there an expert here who could confirm that following kind of general terms and conditions are not legally binding? This is a bookmaker called gamebet.com licensed by MGA. This bookmaker has my payout pending since 4.1 and I forwarded a complaint to MGA but am yet to be responded about the final outcome. Terms are like this: Unless otherwise stated, only one bet per sport event or match is allowed. Maximum stake per bet must be equal or smaller than the last deposit amount. Regarding first term I have never seen such a term anywhere else unless there is a bonus rollover involved so can that kind of term be valid and lead to voided bets? The second term sounds also criminal. Let us say if you deposited 100 euros and did a bet worth 80 euros with it leaving you 20 euros. If you then proceeded to make another deposit worth for example 200 euros would you be regarded as a «criminal» by doing a bet worth of 220 euros because you used the money left based on your previous deposit?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 am

Thank you for your post.

As a general rule T&Cs have to be balanced and fair, not hidden and in language that is easily understandable for them to be legal.

Like you, I've never seen T&Cs like these two before for gambling, however that does not make them illegal. Certainly, both do seem strange for all sorts of reasons, so I would tend to use 'Resolver' or their ADR to challenge the company's decision (see the attached). You are looking for the latter to find for you, because there is no way you would be aware of something so strange without searching and reading for a long period of time.

JJ
Attachments
Know your rights when betting 08-17.pdf
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 17 times

pelimies
Supporter

Post by pelimies » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:39 pm

As a continuation to my gamebet issue I did some bets where I chose 1x, 2x or 12 but there was no bonus rollover going on anymore. I have only seen this kind of rules at other bookmakers when there has been bookmaker based bonus money involved. Speaking of the first rule would I be regarded as a "criminal" also by doing two bets worth of 50 euros each as opposed to one bet worth 100 euros let us say Ac Milan to beat Sampdoria during 90 minutes. That would not make sense at all. For me that sounds criminal bookmaker activity. Could the bookmaker be challenged that the term is not crystal clear? "One bet per match or market" can mean one outcome per match within bookmaker stake limits or one bet no matter how much that fills stake limit. Also if they meant that 1x, 2x or 12 are forbidden why so called double chance bets would be allowed meaning there is a market where one can choose 1x, 2x or 12 with one click.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 am

As hinted, I think the T&Cs are unusual and likely would not stand-up in a court, but you don't want to be going down that line. From what you state, they are terms that contradict bets that are available on their site and thus can be implemented when the company wishes (or not), i.e. unfairly.

So, yes I would take the steps I outlined yesterday.

I hope that helps?

JJ