UKGC & CMA speeches yesterday

Please use this forum to discuss unfair terms & conditions used by bookmakers, e.g. no right to appeal against decisions, palpable errors, delays in paying out, refusing promised free bets, etc.
Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

UKGC & CMA speeches yesterday

Post by Jimmy Justice » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Everyone

If you get 15 minutes these two speeches should be read as they are potentially significant. One is saying; we've given you a chance (the industry) and you aren't coming up to scratch. The other is saying; stop using unfair terms and conditions or we're coming to get you:

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/PD ... n-2017.pdf
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... next-steps

Nobody who gambles could possibly disagree with what is outlined and we shouldn't underestimate the significance of both these speeches being given on the same programme to an audience of gambling company CEOs and senior directors.

Progress is now being made. It's 27 months since I personally wrote to the UKGC about unfair terms and conditions, and citing examples, so nothing happens quickly, but we are going to see change. What must not be forgotten is there are plenty of other T&Cs being used that are unfair and the CMA will move on to these; one being, it's not clear that you are not allowed to win using skill in the medium and long term when betting on sports. Gambling companies will either have to change this policy or outline in full detail in their T&Cs that customer WILL be banned or effectivley banned through stake restrictions if they bother to study form/times, etc., e.g. try hard, or put another way, unless you bet in the way we (the company) likes you are NOT welcome.

We move forward.

JJ

Del
Supporter

Re: UKGC & CMA speeches yesterday

Post by Del » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Yes an interesting read and you sum it up well.

The CMA is far more of a problem for operators I'd say, where as the GC statement confirms what I've suspected for a while now. Specifically that they only seem to act on extreme cases or repeat failures of gambling operators. Passing an issue over to them on individual basis is to all intents and purposes ineffective as whilst they say they will investigate, they will not give you any updates on progress for your case, assuming there is any of course.

The CMA focus on unfair bonus offers is a big game changer I think. How many of us in the past have had to play through a small bonus or winnings from that bonus in order to not only free up funds to withdraw but also free up actual funds that were yours in the first place. I distinctly remember Coral forcing me to turnover horrendous amounts in order to free up a withdrawal request with no active display for me to see when it was freed. Needless to say, unbeknownst to me I played through into my own funds and lost out.

I hope I'm wrong and the GC step up with some real teeth soon, not just on the big headlines cases, but individual cases that don't involve theft and death.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:39 am

You state exactly the present situation.

I met with an ex gambling company director six months ago and I quote, "You've done it now convincing the GC to involve the CMA. The industry has been terrified of them ever getting involved." I assume this is because he and the industry knew they have been using unfair T&Cs for years. I hope this doesn't sound arrogant, but it took me lass than 30 minutes to find and send six blatantly unfair T&Cs to the CMA, which was one of the 'sparks' for the investigation. Another big factor has been all the cases we've been able to send to them. There's a long way to go and none of it will be good for the industry. GOOD!

Re the GC, again I agree, but people must not stop contacting them or they will think improvement is occurring. Sarah Harrison is committed to improving consumer rights for gamblers and protecting vulnerable people and so are the other staff we've met, but it is and has been a 'sea-change' from previous years and it's crucially important that customers keep them aware of everything that happens.

JJ

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Well done Jimmy thanks to your good efforts the ripple spreads, and Re slow progress this is certainly preferable to none.

Del
Supporter

Post by Del » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Yes, I second that Mick.

And yes, I agree, no matter how slow progress seems people need to react more to poor treatment by online firms and report it to the GC and if necessary take it up with the operators directly through court action. The CMA speech confirms what some have been saying for a while now, namely that operators are breaking consumer law and consumer law trumps their self defined Ts & Cs.