Betway

This is the forum where you can discuss any aspect of bookmaker injustices you wish. You start the topic and encourage others to develop it with you. Wherever possible do outline or attach evidence that supports what you are sharing, e.g. Live Chat text, screen grabs, emails, letters, etc. It may even become one of our future campaigns!

The other subject specific forums below, do give you ideas to think about, but if you want to post here, please do.

Any advertising for gambling services will be deleted and the user blocked.
mick
Supporter

Re: Betway

Post by mick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:05 am

Hi Bobby well done your tenacity and best of for an eventual satisfactory outcome.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:29 am

Thanks for the update.

They really are a shambles and I hope the ICO taken action, but I'll be amazed if they do as they're a ................. also.

JJ

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Out of patience. I have referred to the ICO again.

"Please give details"
Information Commissioners Office Case Reference Number RFAxxxxxxx. They are ignoring my further requests for clarification on information supplied, and requests to see information that they have not supplied.

I am furious that bookmakers are allowed to get away with ignoring requests from customers to see their personal data. Why do you let them just ignore my requests? Why are they allowed to collect my personal data from tracking software and refuse to admit or explain it?
"What more could the organisation you're complaining about do to resolve your complaint?"
Respond in full to my emails. Explain their logic in deciding how long personal data needs to be retained, with reference to the laws that they consider relevant and the time periods defined in them. Explain the abbreviations under "Trader Notes" in supplied data. Give full details about their use of Iovation tracking products and explain in full the codes used in supplied data. Explain what personal data they used to limit my betting account, and the logic behind their decision.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:28 am

Great stuff. As I've said, the more people that pester the ICO the more likely they are to take things seriously and do their job.

JJ

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:46 am

Hi Bobby while not directly relevant to your ask i thought you might be pleased to know that Betway received some poor publicity and exposure in the Daily Mail ( Sat Feb 1st edition) and as a result MPs are now on the GC case demanding answers concerning aspects of Betways MO..........every little helps.? With this in mind i wonder if an e mail to the Mail directing them to this thread might help your worthy cause.?

Quote : MP Carolyn Harris, chair of the all party parliamentary group on gambling called on the Gambling Commission to reveal............
Perhaps an e mail to Carolyn might also prove helpful.?

PS : I have just noticed the Mail feature mentioned is shown on the J4P Twitter.
Last edited by mick on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:22 am

All good suggestions.

JJ

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:27 pm

Reply on my latest complaint about Betfred:
Thank you for your correspondence.

Betfred have stated to us that you were provided with you betting history on 23 August 2019. If you have made a further request since this date, this would be classed as a new subject access request and you would need to submit this as a new complaint via our website.

In relation to the disclosure of information in relation to why your accounts are limited, Betfred have explained that this information is exempt from disclosure under the Management Forecast exemption. In some circumstances, the DPA 2018 provides an exemption from particular GDPR provisions. If an exemption applies, organisations may not have to comply with all the usual rights and obligations, such as subject access requests.

This exemption can apply if an organisation processes personal data for the purposes of management forecasting or management planning in relation to a business or other activity.

But the exemption only applies to the extent that compliance with the above provisions would be likely to prejudice the conduct of the business or activity.
In this case, if Betfred were to disclose the reasons as to why your account has been limited, this could prejudice the conduct of their business as it could be used in a way to ensure account limitation is avoided.

If you remain dissatisfied you have the option to pursue your concern through the courts. We recommend that you seek legal advice should you chose to do this.

If you are unhappy with the way in which I have handled your case, you are entitled to request a case review. This can be done by completing the form on our website found through the link below:

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/com ... -about-us/

Yours sincerely,

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:15 am

Bobby wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:27 pm
Reply on my latest complaint about Betfred:
In this case, if Betfred were to disclose the reasons as to why your account has been limited, this could prejudice the conduct of their business as it could be used in a way to ensure account limitation is avoided.
I find this reasoning perverse because if they had the decency to explain in detail why we have been restricted then its possible we could change some aspects of our betting MO which would negate the need for the restrictions..............Perhaps i am being over cynical but is there reluctance more down to the fact that they do not want any winning customers or even those who they believe could be, but do not wish to publicly state or confirm this.

Bobby
Supporter

Post by Bobby » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:04 am

I wasn't sure how to put that into words Mick - why are they allowed to limit any accounts at all? And it's probably not something the ICO care about.

Anyway: back to the ICO:
Thank you for your response.

The problem is that I was not provided with a betting history on 23 August. Unless I am missing something, I was only provided with a list of deposits and withdrawals to/from the account. As such they have not complied with the request to give me all my personal data. They have also failed to explain codes on the data they provided. As I understand it, “if the context of the personal data is recorded using acronyms, an explanation for the acronyms should be provided.”

I’m happy to share with you what they gave me if it helps you. Do you find it acceptable that they can give an incomplete set of data in response to a Subject Access Request and then make statements which they must know are incorrect to the ICO about compliance with that SAR?

They have also failed to explain their data retention policy, specifically what legislation they claim applies and what it says about retention periods.

I really don’t expect to have to take legal action to see data that I own.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:52 am

This is fascinating guys. The provision of an incomplete SAR for no good reason is an offence under GDPR. Why the ICO don't just say this astounds me.

I also found this hilarious, "In this case, if Betfred were to disclose the reasons as to why your account has been limited, this could prejudice the conduct of their business as it could be used in a way to ensure account limitation is avoided." The only way to ensure "account limitation is avoided" is to lose :lol: If the ICO hasn't sussed this out yet, it's time to give up.

JJ