Betfair and fraud - what can I do?

This is the forum where you can discuss any aspect of bookmaker injustices you wish. You start the topic and encourage others to develop it with you. Wherever possible do outline or attach evidence that supports what you are sharing, e.g. Live Chat text, screen grabs, emails, letters, etc. It may even become one of our future campaigns!

The other subject specific forums below, do give you ideas to think about, but if you want to post here, please do.

Any advertising for gambling services will be deleted and the user blocked.
Paul10000
Supporter

Betfair and fraud - what can I do?

Post by Paul10000 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:26 am

Hi everyone, I'm really looking for advice on how best to proceed now against Betfair.

The story is - been with them for many years, nothing much really, usually exchange bets, account balance was just under a grand.

Went on hols so not been in account for a week or so - logged in and saw balance at £650!

Eventually found the account transactions and saw some hackers had obviously got in and had connected their Neteller and Moneybookers accounts to mine, deposited small amounts first to verify then started siphoning off my funds. They had also tried to get large amounts out to a Paypal but it kept being reversed - Betfair wasn't picking these up and of course they don't send any e-mails saying withdrawals have occurred. I phoned customer support and they suspended my account and said they'd investigate. All well and good until the next day I get the 'your account is closed' reply - nothing else - I ask what is going on etc. just get the reply - 'account inconsistencies, account closed, final decision'

I''ve asked what these supposed inconsistencies are and sent it to escalation@betfair.com I've also emailed their new CEO. no noe has ever known my login so their database must have been stolen - why didn't Betfair impose a mandatory password change on all users?

Can they do this? how can I get my funds? :cry:

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: Betfair and fraud - what can I do?

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:35 am

Hi Paul

Thank you for posting.

What follows is purely based on what you outline as I have no other evidence to go on, so I'm assuming you would be willing to give the same evidence as part of a small claim in the courts.

I can see no reason why Betfair can legally keep your funds without providing an evidenced reason for doing so. In fact I would see this as being a case for Action Fraud (http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/). Of course, it is best to try and avoid this, so I've attached our advisory leaflet that outlines the other options you have.

A person I know who advises on online fraud has said that Betfair should have frozen your account as soon as 'test' transactions appeared on it, because this is a very common process used in online fraud and bank card cloning.

I hope this helps?

JJ
Attachments
Know your rights when betting 08-17.pdf
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 12 times

Paul10000
Supporter

Post by Paul10000 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi - thanks for the reply - I'm trying to sort it amicably but despite numerous emails to both customer support and escalation I'm getting zero response. They won't say what the supposed account inconsistencies are (none that I can think of anyway) and indeed appear to just be ignoring me.
Letter in post to the new CEO and I'll give them a week before having a go with action fraud as you suggest. i've no problem at all in raising a small claims case and will persure this to the bitter end.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:39 pm

OK. If you need any help where confidentiality is needed feel free to contact me on info@justiceforpunters.org

JJ

Paul10000
Supporter

Post by Paul10000 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:01 am

I even tried their pathetic twitter @betfaircs - guy there looked and came back with 'account closed' final decision. For some weird reason they won't say why, no indication of what's amiss, I've asked now many times for my funds but they won't say anything.

Snail mail letter went to CEO - I'll give them a week then I'll take you up on your offer of advise off line if I may.

I really can't believe they are regulated in the UK - I've never had such arrogant behaviour for any firm before.

Paul10000
Supporter

Post by Paul10000 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Good news - just had a call from Betfair - they've decided after listening to my first call again that they hadn't handled the call very well and that indeed I was a victim of fraud, they're supposedly refunding me all lost cash and reactivating my account.

Their customer support team are apparently also being reeducated - hopefully in Siberia

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Brilliant news; well done.

Re staff training; if we've heard it once we've heard it .................... How the hell they are trained in the first place goodness knows.

JJ