A case a day

Tell us here about your experiences of people committing crime to fund gambling.
Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

A case a day

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:14 pm

It seems that the media features a story everyday of someone going to prison due to gambling related crime. We want you to keep us informed. We cannot scan local papers for all the cases, so please tell us about the cases close to your town. We'll keep a record of everything.

Also tell your non-gambling friends that they are losing money to bookies: They'll be amazed:

"You must be joking, I'm not a mug, I don't gamble, that lot are having none of my money." :o

Too late, they're already taking your taxes through the costs of the judicial system and your employer might be being robbed by an employee with a gambling problem, putting your job in danger. Problem gambling affects people who don't gamble; families, colleagues, etc.

Tell your friends and tell them that while benefiting from problem gambling, bookmakers won't take sports bets off 'fun' punters who win: Again, they'll be amazed!

Zero%RTP
Supporter

Re: A case a day

Post by Zero%RTP » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:42 am

Anonymous bookies robbed

Man suspected of two armed robberies

A man is suspected of robbing two betting shops at gun point in two weeks.

Police have released a CCTV image of a man who is suspected to have robbed a bookmakers in Snakes Lane East, Woodford Green at 4.15pm on Saturday January 23.

He is believed to have walked into the betting shop brandishing a gun and demanding money from the woman behind the counter, before making off with the stolen cash.

Police believe the man is also linked to a second robbery, which took place at another betting shop at 8.50am on Tuesday February 4 in Woodgrange Road in Forest Gate.

He is suspected to have demanded cash at gun point, before leaving the bookmakers on foot.

He is white, 5ft 8, slim and between 25 and 30 years old.

The Metropolitan Police flying squad’s detective sergeant Scott Chimes said: “The cashiers have had to endure a frightening experience due to this person's actions, who we are seeking to identify and trace as a priority"

Anyone with information can contact the flying squad on 020 8345 1400, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

http://m.guardian-series.co.uk/news/143 ... robberies/

Zero%RTP
Supporter

Post by Zero%RTP » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:46 am

8 years of porridge for turning over Paddy Power

Man jailed for more than eight years for robberies and burglary in Slough

A 34-year-old man who robbed a bookmaker in Slough and asked for an additional robbery and a burglary to be taken into consideration at his sentencing has been jailed.

Ishtiaq Ali of Belfast Avenue, Slough, was sentenced to a total of eight-and-a-half years at Reading Crown Court yesterday (Thursday) after he pleaded guilty to one count of robbery, possession of a knife/blade/sharp pointed article in a public place and possession of an imitation firearm.

The three counts relate to a robbery at Paddy Power bookmakers in Grasemere Parade, Slough, on January 18.

During the incident, Ali, who wore a face covering and was in possession of a kitchen knife and an imitation firearm, robbed an employee of cash.

During yesterday’s hearing, Ali also asked for a further two other offences to be taken into consideration at the time of sentencing.

They were a robbery at News Express in Knolton Way, which happened on December 28, when cash and cigarettes were stolen, as well as a burglary at Kays supermarket in Oatlands Drive during the early hours of January 1, when cigarettes were stolen.

Detective Constable Andy Wroe said: “I am pleased with the sentence which reflects the seriousness of Ali’s actions.

“I hope that it will also act as a deterrent to anyone who thinks it is acceptable to be involved in such criminality, as such behaviour will not be tolerated by police in Slough.”

http://www.sloughexpress.co.uk/News/All ... 022016.htm

Zero%RTP
Supporter

Post by Zero%RTP » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:15 pm

Three men sought over robbery at bookmakers in Glasgow

William Hill, Tollcross Road, GlasgowGoogle
Police are attempting to trace three men who carried out a robbery at a bookmakers in the east end of Glasgow.

The men threatened staff and demanded money in the William Hill branch, in Tollcross Road, at 21:10 on Sunday.

They then ran off with a three-figure sum of cash towards Ardfern Street and the Dalness Court area.

Two members of staff who were threatened by the men, a woman aged 49 and a man aged 20, were not injured but left badly shaken.

The first suspect is described as white, aged between 35 and 45, of medium build. Police said he had a large nose and was wearing a dark hooded top and black gloves.

CCTV images

The second suspect was white and wore a dark scarf over his face, a dark jacket and green baseball cap.

The third suspect was wearing a balaclava and a navy hooded top and was carrying a black rucksack.

Det Sgt Peter Sharp said: "This is a very busy area and I'm sure someone will have seen the suspects as they made off toward the Dalness Court area.

"We are currently in the process of gathering and reviewing CCTV images to gain additional information on the suspects, however, I am appealing to local people and anyone who was in the area around the time of the crime to contact us."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-35689728

Zero%RTP
Supporter

Post by Zero%RTP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:58 am

NewsCrime
Billingsgate fish market manager stole £84k in rents to feed gambling habit

TRISTAN KIRK 1 hour ago

billingsgate1a.jpg
Cover-up: Roshan Persad tried to claim security firm G4S lost the money which he had stolen at the fish market Central News
The manager of Billingsgate Fish Market is facing jail after stealing more than £84,000 from traders’ rents to feed his gambling addiction.

Roshan Persad, 48, took the money from the market’s landlord, the City of London Corporation, over an 18-month period and then tried to blame security firm G4S for losing the missing cash.

He had tried to shuffle funds around the market’s accounts to hide his fraud, logging thousands of pounds in bogus credit notes from traders to make it seem they were in arrears.

Persad, from Hornchurch, had denied taking £84,234, but a jury at the Old Bailey found him guilty of six charges of theft, seven of false accounting and one of fraud by abuse of position.

Recorder Karim Khalil told him: “You must already know, because of the amount of money involved, the period of time over which the offences were committed and the breach of trust towards your employer, that it is almost inevitable that a custodial sentence, and a rather lengthy one at that, will be required.”

The court heard Persad started dipping into the market’s accounts in March 2011.

Traders renting stalls and shops mainly paid their rents in cash, delivering it to Persad’s office.

The rents totalled £13,500 per week, or £700,000 a year. In March 2013 a Corporation accountant spotted a shortfall in the accounts as some payments had not been logged.

“The reason why these cash payments were not recorded was because the defendant was stealing the cash,” prosecutor Louis French said.

A total of more than £95,000 had not been recorded, and Persad then launched an elaborate bid to cover his tracks by shifting funds between different accounts and logging false credit notes. “He was robbing from Peter to pay Paul,” Mr French said.

In a final effort to hide his fraud, Persad asked G4S in January 2013 to arrange a collection of £94,000 in cash and £9,000 in cheques. But when G4S counted the cash there was only £15,664.

“The defendant was trying to make it seem like the money went missing in the hands of G4S,” said Mr French. “There was absolutely no reason for £94,000 suddenly appearing when the weekly take was £13,000.”

Persad was freed on bail until a sentencing hearing on April 25.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/bi ... 92461.html

Zero%RTP
Supporter

Post by Zero%RTP » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:34 am

Pensioner stabbed in raid on Stamford Hill Paddy Power

07:00 17 March 2016

Sam Gelder

CCTV footage captured the moment the masked robber threatened the member of staff
CCTV footage captured the moment the masked robber threatened the member of staff

This is the terrifying moment a masked thug threatened a Stamford Hill bookmaker’s worker during a raid that saw a pensioner knifed and £6,500 stolen.

Jennifer Machin, general manager of the Paddy Power storeJennifer Machin, general manager of the Paddy Power store
Police were called to Paddy Power just after 8am on Saturday but the knife-wielding attacker had fled the scene with the cash.

The staff member who opened up the shop told the Gazette how she dropped to her knees in fear when threatened with the blade.

The 24-year-old, of Enfield, who was too afraid to be named, said: “I opened up at 8am and a couple of customers came in.

“I started to count the money and a man charged towards me waving a knife shouting ‘give me the money’. I couldn’t see his face because he had a mask on. I couldn’t think what my code was but eventually I gave him the money and he ran out.”

A 65-year-old regular punter, known only as Errol, was stabbed in the back during the robbery, though his injuries are not thought to be serious.

“He was taken to hospital eventually,” said the worker. “But before that he still wanted to put a bet on. I couldn’t believe it!

“To be honest I feel like the customers could have done more. One man was still doing his bets on the machine while it was happening.

“I was shaken. You sometimes hear of this happening but never think it will happen to you. I was more than terrified.” Steve Scott, another regular punter, arrived minutes after the robbery and checked on his friend Errol before chasing the perpetrator down Stamford Hill.

“I came in and the girl said ‘we’ve just been robbed’. She was shaking. Errol had a big red stain on his back that was quite deep.

“I threw my betting slip on the floor and ran outside. I could see him jogging away and I chased him but he turned and saw me and accelerated away. I lost him.

“If I had been in the shop he wouldn’t have got out, and that’s not bravado. Errol is an old-age pensioner, and to do that to the girl as well, it’s not on.”

Manager Jennifer Machin, who usually opens up, was also at the scene quickly from her Highbury home. “I’ve never been robbed in 26 years in the business,” she told the Gazette. “I think it was an opportunist looking for his weekend money.

“These people don’t stop and think about the after-effects. Errol is 65. That is ridiculous. People just do as they please without thinking.” Flying Squad detectives are investigating the attack but have made no arrests.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:17 am

But never forget that the ABB say that you are no more likely to see crime in your local cafe than a bookmakers!

Zero%RTP
Supporter

Post by Zero%RTP » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:08 am

Robber in pyjamas failed to spot police in bookmakers

A man in pyjamas who failed to notice police inside a bookmakers he tried to rob has been jailed for five years.

Duncan Haldane, 41, from Glasgow, was caught within seconds of entering the William Hill store in the city's Saracen Street on 14 December 2015.

He admitted the robbery bid and using a knife to rob £700 from Q Save Grocers, in the same street.

Haldane has previous convictions for theft, violence, drugs and firearms offences going back to 1991.

Jailing him at the High Court in Glasgow, judge Lord Bannatyne told Haldane: "These are matters which are terrifying for people in shops and the court have to protect shop workers."

Haldane was told that but for his early guilty plea he would have been jailed for seven and a half years.

'Fill them up'

The court heard that Haldane was wearing a mask when he walked into the William Hill bookmakers.

He did not notice police officers in hi-visibility yellow vests who were carrying out a licensed premises check at the time.

The court was shown CCTV of Haldane walking up to the counter.

He placed plastic bags under the screen and shouted at the employees working there: "Fill them up...or I pull this out".

The court was told that Haldane gestured towards his right hand which was still in the pocket of his hoodie, indicating that he had a weapon.

At that point, the police officers emerged from behind the counter, grabbed Haldane, put him on the ground and handcuffed him.

A search revealed he had no weapon.

The court was also told that Haldane was known to all the staff in the grocery shop he robbed.

His defence lawyer said the offences "occurred because of his involvement with drugs".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-35942004

Zero%RTP
Supporter

Post by Zero%RTP » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Police hunt man over armed robbery at bookmakers Paddy Power

Police are hunting a man over an armed robbery attempt at a bookmakers in east London.

Scotland Yard said a Paddy Power shop in Barking Road, Plaistow, was held up by a man carrying what is thought to have been a firearm.

A man allegedly threatened staff as he made an unsuccessful bid to steal cash.

Police today released a CCTV image of a man they want to speak to in connection with the incident at about 12.50pm on Sunday, February 28.

A spokesman said the man is described as Asian, aged in his 20s, and was wearing a blue jacket and carrying a green bag.

Anyone with information should contact the Flying Squad on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 quoting reference 5305866/16.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/po ... 17646.html

Zero%RTP
Supporter

Post by Zero%RTP » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:43 am

Man robbed Sheffield bookies with handgun, sprayed petrol at staff and fled on off-road motorbike

An armed raidercarrying ahandgun walked into Corbett bookmakers on Stannington Road and threatened staff
A man who robbed a Sheffield bookmakers with a handgun, sprayed petrol at staff and fled on an orange off-road motorbike is being hunted by police.

At about 5.45pm on Saturday a man walked into Corbett bookmakers in Stannington Road, Stannington, believed to be carrying a handgun.

An armed raidercarrying ahandgun walked into Corbett bookmakers on Stannington Road and threatened staff

The man is alleged to have then threatened two members of staff, demanding money from them, before spraying a liquid thought to be petrol on the shop counter.

The man then stole cash, putting it into an Asda plastic bag before leaving the store on an orange off-road type motorbike towards Hillsborough.

Temporary Detective Inspector Graham Stead, said: “This incident was highly distressing for the staff and it is extremely fortunate that no one was injured.

“I would like to urge anyone who may have been in the area at the time and seen anything suspicious to come forward.

“I am particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have seen the motorbike before or after the incident. Do you know who was riding it?

“If you have any information which could assist us with enquiries please call 101 quoting incident number 899 of 9 April 2016.”

Information can also be passed to Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/man-robbe ... -1-7851028