Tell us what you want to campaign about

This is the forum where you can discuss ideas for future punter campaigns. Don't just outline an idea, please do discuss how to complete it and encourage others to submit thoughts on how they can improve anything and/or what they could contribute to any campaign.
mick
Supporter

Re: Tell us what you want to campaign about

Post by mick » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:04 am

Yes i recall signing that one i did not read the book but watched the youtube presentation.So 3000 makes no waves how many will be needed.Fair dues to the forked tongue guys for there efforts and those of others we need to unite and work as one.Is this the plan.?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:04 am

Yes, without question, they are involved already.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:29 am

Hi JJ my understanding is that your official launch time approaches (GN week) the sooner the better imo.Could you advise how you will be attempting max impact and any way us supporters can help.Your charter lists several most worthy objectives but i suspect the £500 take out for all will prove of most interest.A conservative guess would be a min 100,000 currently denied this and if we all worked collectively with your guidance then i feel hope that this could be achieved but first we need enough of us supporters actively aware and involved.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am

Thank you for asking. You are correct, we are still planning for GN week, but as we have no cash the main thing is trying to co-ordinate what we have in the pipeline, which are:

1. A promised investigative substantial article in a major newspaper that will blow open present bookmaker practices, some of which are illegal
2. A possible TV interview that will follow that, but the article must be published first
3. Free support from a PR agency to get a press release out to all relevant media

All sounds good except there may be a delay to 1., which kicks starts everything else. If the delay means we have to miss GN week, we'll have to accept that, as it is so difficult to get any media coverage without a budget for adverts, etc. We've already spent a lot of time with journalists who are keen to help, but everything has to be cleared by editors and lawyers, which often involves lawyers from the bookmaking side: Nightmare.

We will get there! We have the moral high ground. We are not the ones pushing every legal boundary and breaking those legal boundaries in some cases.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:02 am

Hi JJ Cheers for the above and i understand the thinking Re 1/ needed to kick start the rest but wonder if the delay might not be much longer.I do not like to be cynical but suspect that the Bookmakers influence stretches to national dailies and other non racing media via back door investment in the parent company's and as you fear indirect influence on editors.

So far this forum has 73 members yet there will be thousands suffering account closure's.Publicity and activity increases but currently its scatter gun and my view is ineffective until united. Your charter is good and the more who are aware of this place and its objectives ASAP then the better the kick to the start.?

Currently the Bookmakers laugh at us but if we all come together and act as one that will change but we first need the numbers as well as the ammunition and publicity.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:34 am

Agreed. The bookmaker influence in the media (everywhere to be fair) is a nightmare. There will be focus after official launch, i.e. defined priorities. We have to be patient (sadly). The people we are working with do have a strong history of publishing investigative work, but we are in their hands or more likely in the hands of their legal advisors. Sorry, but we need everyone to be patient with us. We are committed for the long term and we feel this patience will pay off.

JJ

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:08 am

JJ As i recall you mentioned that your intention was to investigate during your recent visit to Australia what occurred Re the Gov changing the law to force bookmakers to take a min bet from ALL customers.My understanding was that this problem came as a result of UK Bookmakers buying sports books out there and implementing the same tactics as they use here.

Where campaigns started by punters did they receive media coverage did it take a real big deal to get the Government involved and reacting.? Did you glean anything which could be of use when we attempt the same here.?

The recent HBF survey has now gained 820 participants and i find this disappointing.Establishing the true numbers will be difficult but i suspect many thousands are now affected so how are they reacting moving to the exchange given up completely or continuing via shadow accounts.The more we know then the better our chance.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:14 am

Yes, I met with two people in Australia. It was primarily officials at NSW racing that got the changes through. Difficult to work out why this really happened. Yes, the Euro bookmakers restricting was a big factor, but the boss at NSW racing had always been seen as a 'don't rock the boat' man, so why he changed is a mystery. It could be Aus bookmakers losing trade to the Euro bookmakers with all their offers and only getting the good punters back, because they were soon banned? Always look at the 'bottom line' pressures first or you maybe wrong. Why it has not happened in other states again is mystery. Victoria recently turned it down. Northern Territoires never will as they licence all the overseas companies in preferential tax deals. From this you would have to conclude that the BHA are vital - oh dear - as they have similar financial interests as bookies, i.e. big profits, not turnover.

As the big bookies have crushed nearly all the independents here there is little chance there, but one interesting possible angle is the on-course bookmakers who are losing 10s of thousands to the online boys when punters use their phones on-course. However, some of them are very pro the big off-course firms as they lay-off with them at specially agreed prices that can then be put back on the exchanges just before the off for a guaranteed profit - see Grand Nationa last week. It's all very murky. For me, the best angle is getting the general public and government to better understand the injustice that is going on, i.e. bankrupt or restrict. Hence our media angle that we are hoping for soon, of coverage on finance and general pages, not sport.

The HBF survey will take ages to get anywhere near the 3000+ survey Mick McDermott did and others helped with. Punters, as a general rule, do not complain and this may backfire massively on the HBF. I'm not convinced general surveys just about racing punters per se will work. We need football punters and others on-side taking direct action, i.e. bombarding regulators with email complaints; making their life hell, so they listen. I have a research background (proper job) and there simply is not enough money around to produce any research that the bookmakers can't contradict or lie about.

All sounds a bit negative this, but don't forget the recent 138/12Bet scandal. More direct action (no help from the UKGC and IBAS) solved that one rather quickly!!!!!

JJ

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:02 am

Cheers JJ for your quick and in formed reply. :)

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Wed May 03, 2017 9:46 am

A suggestion which is easy done and might rock the boat.Sites like Odds Checker facilitate the increasing Bookmaker practice of being selective Re which customers are allowed to take the advertised price.There days I wind myself up by even looking knowing full well that a price i would like to take will only be allowed to tiny amounts if at all.

I have already e mailed Odds Checker concerning this and of course it made no difference,but if hundreds of us did likewise at the same time it might give them pause for thought.?