Tell us what you want to campaign about

This is the forum where you can discuss ideas for future punter campaigns. Don't just outline an idea, please do discuss how to complete it and encourage others to submit thoughts on how they can improve anything and/or what they could contribute to any campaign.
Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Tell us what you want to campaign about

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:30 pm

This is the forum where you can discuss ideas for future punter campaigns.

Please, don't just outline an idea, do discuss how to complete it and encourage others to submit thoughts on how they can improve anything and/or what they could contribute to any campaign.

We will also be posting our campaign ideas, so that you can tell us if you think they are sensible or not. We hope to have at least one campaign running at any given time.

Don't just lie back and let all the injustices continue: Get together and win.

mick
Supporter

Re: Tell us what you want to campaign about

Post by mick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:04 am

A very good idea as to some extent we punters are our own worst enemy in respect of our apathy.Account restrictions we cannot know how many are affected by this but its clearly an increasing practice being applied to thousands yet still only a small minority of the many who bet.Tbh when i first started using online bookmakers i read the occasional post from someone complaining about this but took no notice until it started to happen to myself.What i would suggest is that when bookmakers implement this for some of thier customers they are in fact sending a message to all and its one of contempt.

The bookmakers own the RP at arms length so we will get no help from them.The one thing the Books do not want is publicity when large firms advertise a price on odds checker and limit some customers to a max bet of 16p (and this is happening) it will prob only be main stream media investigation and exposure which would bring change.i am not one for conspiracy theories but the large firms are now very powerful and thier PR very good at turning things round and making them disappear.

So before we commence any campaign we first need enough of us working collectively and tenaciously to make it viable.Perhaps this forum will enable i hope so.I would also welcome comment on what we feel is reasonable to seek if and when we campaign.? The bottom line being a min takeout at an advertised price for all customers i remain unsure of what amount could be considered reasonable.? Many readers will be aware of a law change in Australia in this respect and it enforces a min 500 dollars (approx £250) i read that this was caused by the likes of Hills and B365 buying sports books there and immediately implementing the same tactics as they use in the UK.The Aussie Gov responded yet those firms and other UK ones still operate and profit there.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:08 pm

Again Mick this is in the 'Charter'. We have set it at £500.00. The UK Gambling Commission have the 'Charter' and have said good luck with it, but they will NOT do anything about this particular 'Charter' statement, as they claim it is not their role. Our argument, of course, is that it is, because despite there being no law that a bookmaker has to take a bet despite advertising prices to all, the UKGC could insist on this when licences are reviewed, i.e. if you don't do it, you don't get a new licence, which is exactly what they've done in New South Wales. Yes, they will be challenged and probably in court, but one of their big stated aims is betting being 'open and fair' and how can this be, when an advert offers a price and person A can have a tenner at the price and person B can't with no reason given. Dependent on the exchange rate it is also much higher than the £250.00 you mention in NSW for races at bigger courses - around £500-600. We hope to get advice from Australia on this. Other areas outside NSW have not adopted it yet, but some do have very stringent laws on free bet promotions, i.e. they are banned and other things like betting in play. At least there is an attempt to bring in some sort of balance for sports betting. Whereas here, the perception is, so long as law breaking does not occur, bookmakers do what they want using terms and conditions that sometimes would not stand a challenge in court.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi JJ cheers for your above if gives heart.PS I have just posted a relevant article on the restrictions thread still finding my way around so if you think more appropriate here then do move it. :D

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:30 am

I so hope that when this site is officially launched that the many thousands of us affected by account closures and other Bookmaker poor practice do join and become active supporters.If enough of us work collectively we will stand a far better chance of encouraging some much needed change.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:24 pm

Agreed.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:56 am

I feel that the most effective campaign would be one which attracts the attention and support of punters who are not currently restricted.Even though we are many we are still a minority it winds me up that the Bookmakers sell the idea that by closing down those who do turn a profit (or even appear that they might) then they are actually helping the majority who currently are viewed as welcome customers.

To any of the latter reading this i would say what message does this send to you and be aware of what awaits.Perhaps you are best placed to advise on how to get this message across i hope that you do.A suggestion which would work but would need your active support lets pick just one firm say Bet Fred and inform them in advance that on a chosen Saturday not a single one of us is going to bet with them on line or shop and explain why i suspect that even those of you not affected by restriction could find good cause.?

Perhaps a forlorn hope but the fact is this would work.!

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 am

Jim i know it can only be speculative at this early stage but do you have a number in mind Re how many active supporters this forum will need to make any planned campaign effective.?

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:48 am

https://www.change.org/p/uk-gambling-co ... ingle-bets

I was recently shown the above by a friend its been up for two months yet so far only 62 people have signed with a min 100 required to move forward.This might be because the thousands of us who would agree with the objective are unaware but how many have seen wished for same yet not bothered to participate.Our apathy in this respect well suits the Bookmakers purpose.?

Now 63 that is me.! :D

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:25 pm

Yes, please get signing it. I think part of the apathy might be that 3000+ signed a similar one fairly recently generated by one of our guys. We presented it to the Assoc of British Bookmakers in October (https://www.change.org/p/paul-darling-c ... ps-betting). Unsurprisingly, despite opening their doors to us, they have done nothing and the UKGC have refused to meet about it.