THE HBF

Talk to us here if you have had accounts closed or had unfair restrictions placed upon your account.
mick
Supporter

Re: THE HBF

Post by mick » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:20 am

Jimmy Justice wrote:Offers of 10p, 63p, £1.24, £3.21 - whatever, are like the plague. Of course the accounts are not closed, but effectively they are. We will win. The media pressure is now growing, for the first time ever, and it is going to get worse; not just for the bookies, but for the regulators also. :lol:
Your post gives encouragement and hope but we need to work collectively to make this happen.

One of the first objectives stated by the HBF was to engage with the Bookmakers to establish the full extent of restrictions does your in with the Chair enable any news on this as i have seen none.? Punter apathy will always be a problem but if we knew the true figs for those restricted this would encourage those many to realize that if we all make the effort then together we can force the change.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:22 am

HBF member stevetilley just posted on BF forum 500 responses to the survey during the first 24hrs.This is good news.

elisrugby11
Supporter

Post by elisrugby11 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:24 am

Anyone see think it was newsnight last night, or one of the news channels about some new regulations about gambling coming into effect today, this chap had lost thousands on the machines and he had actually 4 slips in his possession showing he gambled 4000 quid inside an hour on a certain day, the slip was shown clearly on the tv, the slips in question were all CORALS .By the way the chief exec of gambling commission was interviewed , seriouslywhere do they get them from.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:08 am

Hi elisrugby 11 i did not watch the program but its no surprise.There is increasing evidence and awareness that those responsible for overseeing the UK gaming industry are not fit for purpose.

Re our own concern account closures as mentioned i hold the BHA accountable.They have a huge working budget yet allow none of this to salary a full time staff to look out for our interests and indirectly we fund them.!

The HBF has been done on the cheap increasingly appearing a cosmetic fail safe against accusations like the above.We are all well aware that the Racing Post and other aspects of the racing media are owned at arms length by the Bookmakers but under the current circumstances you have to question is this also the case with the BHA and imo they should be held accountable.

Witness the recent disclosure from HBF member Steve Tilley that when the BHA where informed about account closures they questioned that any problem existed in this respect.Out of touch or serving the wrong master.?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:37 am

Hi Mick

They launched a survey yesterday. See this link: http://ukhbf.org/account-restrictionclosure-survey/

Apparently over 500 people completed it yesterday. We made a minor complaint asking why it starts off with only the last 6-months, because this will underestimate the problem massively. Anyway, be patient as later on it does ask about the whole experience of people in a free text question. Please do complete it and encourage others.

Our official launch, as hinted at, has been delayed. We have the favours lined up, but we must get this major article published first. The Panama Papers has meant our contact/s are rushed off their feet with lawyers etc. They are investigative journalists, not sports. I think ours is a bigger story!! Joking.

Great to see that most of the Fun88, et al customers are getting their money. We've had some nice emails thanking us for our role in the campaign. This one incident does show that by working together punters can win, even when the regulators do sod all. No point bothering with UKGC/IBAS, go straight to the police, other regulators not bound to gambling, general and social media as a group.

Best.

JJ

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:58 am

Good morning JJ yes i have done the survey and encouraged others to participate but also felt the need to post the below on the BF forum and stand by it.I understand your need to delay your official launch to achieve max impact but the sooner the better imo.There is increasing awareness but currently scatter gun we need one place for collective response and my hope is that this forum will be it.I suggested to the HBF that they started one which they have but they do not allow interested parties to post on it which imo defeats the object.

I welcome the survey but despite stevetilleys case that last six months is more relevant i still believe that it should have been past five years all in or perhaps from the date that the FOBTs where allowed.This would give a truer picture and a better understanding of how many are penalized in this way.It has now been changed to allow prior to past six months as an addition but which fig will be presented.?

One of the first stated objectives by the HBF was to engage with the Bookmakers in order to establish the full extent of the problem and i would ask Steve how goes this.? Once we have a proper idea of the numbers involved and i suspect its many thousands then we would be better placed to organise some mass collective action because this is what it will take to bring change.It will also take publicity and i agree the above posts Re TS being well placed to assist in this yet so far reluctant to do so.

I would thank Steve for at least using this place to keep us part informed because imo the HBF offer poor communication the excuse for this increasingly being that they cannot spare or are not prepared to give there free time to do so if this is the case i would respectfully suggest that those who feel this way should step down.I still wish to support you but you make this difficult.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:54 am

I have spoken to Steve and he is a genuine guy with no bookmaker connections or income. Like you I've tried to make a constructive argument for something covering a longer period and I hope this may happen.

I'm not aware of whether the HBF have active communication with the big bookmakers. We've tried and been to the ABB for a meeting with their CEO. Our experience is: We were promised a further meeting with senior staff with the bigger players, e.g. Coral, Hills, Lads, PaddyPower. This has never happened, so I suspect these companies told the CEO to sod-off. These companies will ONLY come to the table if the regulators or lawmakers (government) make them, so this is where our initial focus will be. I wrote to the ABB CEO again yesterday with a copy to my MP and the UKGC CEO respectfully asking if he would re-engage in communication. I doubt he will, as his salary relies on the aforementioned companies, but we can only try. I have also asked my MP to write to the Minister for Sport on our behalf.

I've answered the 'scatter-gun' matter in another post. We need to be patient. I have high hopes for the coverage we may get, but of course I maybe wrong.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:57 am

JJ Re your above I would thank you for keeping supporters up dated Re what you are attempting and any progress or out comes and this is before your official launch. My frustration and disappointment with the HBF is that they do not and all this causes is a further decline in interest and increase in cynicism which is exactly what the Bookmakers concerned would wish for.!

We need one place and organization which brings all interested parties together they had the opportunity to enable this and imo have wasted it.They have been made aware of this forum and thread yet not a single one of them has even said hello.I now feel that if the current HBF members do not have the free time or are not prepared to give it then they should step down and make way for those who will.I think they have been had over by the BHA but if correct that is their problem it should not be ours.

I would suggest that any backer reading this who feels mugged off by Bookmakers now offers there full support to this place which imo represents our only and perhaps last chance of bringing some change.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:44 am

I cannot disagree with anything you say. It appears to me that Simon Rowlands and Steve Tilley are doing all the work and it is not clear what anyone else is doing, because of a lack of information, i.e. some of the others may be doing lots, but nobody knows. Just one aspect of defence. I think their hands maybe tied somewhat by the BHA's relationship with bookmakers? Only guessing.

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:06 am

Jimmy Justice wrote:I cannot disagree with anything you say. It appears to me that Simon Rowlands and Steve Tilley are doing all the work and it is not clear what anyone else is doing, because of a lack of information, i.e. some of the others may be doing lots, but nobody knows. Just one aspect of defence. I think their hands maybe tied somewhat by the BHA's relationship with bookmakers? Only guessing.
Some do stand accused of a conflict of interest and increasingly i wonder if the BHA anticipated and wished for this when choosing them. ? Divide and Rule.Imo the only significant information we have received so far is that when the HBF (Steve Tilley) informed the BHA that account restrictions and closures was the prime interest they where unwilling to accept or believe that the problem existed.This says much and imo the BHA should be a target when you start to implement your organized campaigns.