Odds Checker

Talk to us here if you have had accounts closed or had unfair restrictions placed upon your account.
mick
Supporter

Odds Checker

Post by mick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:20 pm

I only learnt today that they are owned by Skybet perhaps this should come as no surprise but it still feels like a double whammy mug off.A bookmaker owns the site which advertises thier prices which they in turn then refuse to lay.Thanks to some of our dishonest MPs being exposed then Transparency enters our vocabulary this does not appear to have impacted on Odds Checker. How many new users realize that bookmakers relevant T&Gs can only be found by pausing the cursor over the green bog button.Try Freds to find bog aval for bets placed on line.I got caught by this when assuming the same would apply to all phone bets it does not.Lads will frequently change the times from when bog prices aval.All hidden in sight.

Odds Checker are well aware that some customers are being offered just pennies at the prices they advertise yet chose to ignore.I feel they should also be held accountable and challenged concerning these matters.Of course they will be covered via thier own small print but does this cover the shame they should feel by knowingly enabling these poor practices.?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Re: Odds Checker

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:32 am

Oddschecker provide a great service for just that, i.e. checking odds. But and it is a big but, they do need to be much, much clearer about their affiliate commissions and especially placing warnings about reading full bookmakers' terms and conditions. Advertising Standards are very keen on this and I've won a couple of cases with them. Our site contains advice on how to complain to them (on site under 'Complaining') and we would encourage everyone to do so. They will do something and outcomes are posted in public on their website. The only disappointment is their sanctions, which tend to be very minor. The Competition and Market Authority are also actively looking at unfair bookmaker terms and conditions, so emails to them about this would not go amiss either (again on site under 'Complaining'). If we make big enough noises regulators have to listen and the CMA certainly have clout.

pawras
Supporter

Post by pawras » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:41 pm

The bit about oddschecker and skybet is on the skybet wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Betting_%26_Gaming

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks for that. This brings up a very, very interesting privacy issue if you register and sign into 'Oddschecker', i.e. as part of the same group of companies, in theory it is legal for them to share personal data between Skybet and Oddschecker. Another massive reason never to sign up to any new bookmaker accounts through Oddschecker. Would be very interesting to know what is held about each individual who is both a Skybet customer and Oddschecker registered. For those individuals who are, it is worth paying £10-£20 to demand details of what is held about them. Interesting!!

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:15 am

This morning on the BF forum a poster said that he had taken a screenshot from Odds Checker of a firm reducing a price and gaining an extra R4 deduction 8mins after the horse had been declared a N/r on the BHA site.Pressed by others to name and shame he finally did the firm being Paddy Powers.I note the thread now appears to have been removed.He had also mentioned noting numerous previous examples of this.

I had the situation with this firm whereby i wished to know the R4 deduction but the price of the N/r had been immediately wiped on Odds Checker inc in the history section so i phoned PP customer care and after being asked to wait while they sought advice i was then told that this information was unavailable.This appeared most strange but i got nowhere when attempting to question this.? So my bet was now a reduced price wager but i would need to wait until it won to discover by how much.

If the BF posters accusation is correct then this is fraud.? One thing i have noticed with PP is they do appear to have favourable second sight Re often reducing a price which achieves a higher R4 reduction just prior to the n/r news being made public.This is frequently a stand alone market position.

So now they are going to own betfair what joy.!

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:53 pm

This seems to be an increasing issue if social media is any accurate reflection. Certainly one for the Gambling Commission and SP regulator. But, according to Geoff Banks in his blogs the latter appear not to be 'fit for purpose' and do not respond to emails. The former as we know are completely unpredictable. We will try.

PP owning BF is not the best news for punters ever (being polite)!!

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:41 am

It really makes no matter but have you noticed that WH have recently obtained "promotion" to fourth of right on Odds Checker.I suspect they may have bought this but if the positioning was earned via offering the £500 takeout to all customers i wonder how the table would look.?

While on this subject i note that Black Type are still in business.Recently there was a thread on the BF forum with some customers saying they had been closed down and the £500 take out was no longer available to them.Have any members here been using and how goes your experiences.?

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:37 am

I would be 95% certain they have bought it. If it was based on a £500 take the only companies on Oddschecker would be BlackType and the exchanges.

Oddschecker is what it is; an affiliate website. Yes, use services that are useful to you, but do not sign-in and certainly do not open an account from there on a click through, as your account will be closed even quicker due to their commission. If they were up-front and told everyone the percentage commission they were getting from each company, you might be amazed, but I would be happy to sign-in, etc. But they don't, so I see it as being 'sharp', albeit quite legal practice. If you listen to their PR person on this; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b085hryx you know which side their 'breads buttered on'. His script sounds like it was written by the bookmakers.

Re BlackType, I think there is a suspicion out there that their claims are being infringed, but I also suspect it is to do with confusion around arbing techniques? I can only tell you about our mail box and at present it is clean.

I hope this helps?

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:22 am

Cheers Jim.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:12 am

Times move rapidly. We had our first complaint about BlackType yesterday afternoon. Haven't looked closely yet.

JJ