Betway - account restriction

Talk to us here if you have had accounts closed or had unfair restrictions placed upon your account.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mark
Supporter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Betway - account restriction

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:27 am

I’ve been a customer since mid 2019.
Only really bet horses, a very small amount on football.
I do like to follow the odds checker blue moves lol.
No issue even betting the following days racing after 4pm, until this week.
(Note I am not an orber, I’ve never layed a horse on Betfair in my life - I am just a mug punter who likes to have a little value for money. If my 20/1 runner goes off 5/1 and loses I am not bothered as I know I was on at a value price)
So the story goes like this.
My account only has deposits, no withdrawals.
I’m net -£320.
Tuesday afternoon decided to look at what was to be the Dundalk card.
One race went blue straight away.... so I had 10 e.w @ 33/1.
Instantly they went into 22/1, which was still big as the market was rapidly changing I went back in with 5 e.w @ 22/1.
Within another 5 minutes it was 12/1 everywhere...
Then disaster struck ... Dundalk and racing in Ireland was called off due to the Virus 😔.
Thought nothing of it until yesterday morning I went to have a bet at Happy Valley.... max stake allowed 74p !!!

So not only am I a mug punter with a -£320 net account.
I backed some non runners and my accounts done!

Online chat stated it was a decision made by their operations and cannot be overturned.
Email stated :-
As per our conversation over live chat, we cannot advise of what the reason is for a betting restriction being added to your account as we are not privy to this information.

What an absolute joke.....(and I’m not referring to my gambling mug punter style lol)

Mark

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Betway - account restriction

Post by Jimmy Justice » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your post.

Disgusting, I'm afraid, but that's how things work these days and nobody with the power to change it can be bothered to do anything. Even worse authorities appear to refuse to appreciate the bigger picture. Betway received a record fine recently for a failure to have proper processes in place for money laundering and protecting vulnerable people. How can that be when you factor in your and others' experiences? Not just Betway, all companies seem to have extremely robust processes in place to 'stop' those betting who they deem might win, so why is AML and social responsibility not given the same priority? Some companies and certainly their trade bodies will claim there now is the same priority. I disagree 100% until proven otherwise by actions not words.

We keep fighting, but we are feeling a little punch-drunk!

JJ

mick
Supporter

Post by mick » Sat May 02, 2020 9:46 am

Jimmy Justice wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 pm
We keep fighting, but we are feeling a little punch-drunk!

JJ
Understandable JJ but your tenacity has increased awareness and started to rock the boat. When our UK racing does resume then i do wonder how many punters realizing that the break has actually put money in there pocket will decide not to re start there own betting.? If correct then it may be a case of some Bookmakers having to re think there pre virus attitude to the many of us who have been treated as per the above member..........Will they reverse the current process and start begging us to bet. ?

Typing the above has inspired me to post the below on the UK Betting Form, a forlorn hope i know but just having the thought made me feel good.

When racing does resume i wonder how many previous regular UK horse racing punters will decide not to. This enforced and lengthy break will have caused many to realize just how much there hobby has cost them, and others will have enjoyed the break from being reduced to begging a bet and being subjected to the many other Bookmaker poor and contemptuous practices which have become the norm.

Wishful thinking i know but imagine the outcome if we ALL decided to hang fire and better still told the Bookmakers why.

Jimmy Justice
Site Admin

Post by Jimmy Justice » Sat May 02, 2020 12:02 pm

One day bookies will remember that they don't have a living without punters. This includes many other people, e.g. RP journalists, TV journalists who cover racing; very few of which have ever said or written anything negative about bookies. There are notable exceptions like Lydia Hislop and one or two others, but the vast majority just keep quiet. As an example some high profile TV presenters even struggle to speak to anyone in the crowd when I've been there on Saturdays. I know they're busy and its pressurised, but a hello or whatever when going to the loo goes a long way. I have to give Matt Chapman a rap on this. I was at Haydock a couple of years ago when he was working and I don't think he refused one selfie all afternoon.

JJ